Exercise the fat!

I sort of understand the general principles and guidelines.

But if there is no fat in the muscle group area that you are working, will it burn fat from elsewhere?

Yes it will

Does skipping work? Can you get a skipping rope for a 6ft 1 man?

So you've never seen news footage of heavyweight boxers skipping in training then?

I sort of understand the general principles and guidelines.

But if there is no fat in the muscle group area that you are working, will it burn fat from elsewhere?

If your body needs more energy from somewhere to power your muscles then it will break it down from your body. Unfortunately it is easier for your body to take it from muscle tissue, since that takes less energy than mobilising adipose (fat) tissue, so it's important that you use your muscles because whilst you're using them then your body won't break them down.

But this is the great thing about bodies- all bits are connected to all other bits and metabolism takes your whole body to manage it, from your hairs standing up and you shivering when you're cold to breathing harder when you're exercising.

Just wondering if anyone saw the ad which says 'Five foods to get rid of belly fat' and knows what they are

Me - I have a hula hoop;)

To get rid of fat.

1) effective excercise

and

2) a sensible and varied diet.

And yes, it is capable of targetting a specific area of the body when working out.

Some excercises can work multiple areas of the body, for example sprints/shuttle running will mainly work the legs and the stomach. It can also work the arms as when you are sprinting you are using your arm.

So this kind of excercise will target all areas of the body, and you only need to do it for a maximum of 1min and 30 seconds (with breaks) for it to see a difference. Its called HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), and if you do this, you will shift the flab

In fact on The One Show on earlier this week - 2 minutes of sprints were shown to be more effective than 20 minutes of jogging, can't find the link but theres a forum here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=47254023

To get rid of fat.

1) effective excercise

and

2) a sensible and varied diet.

And yes, it is capable of targetting a specific area of the body when working out.

Some excercises can work multiple areas of the body, for example sprints/shuttle running will mainly work the legs and the stomach. It can also work the arms as when you are sprinting you are using your arm.

So this kind of excercise will target all areas of the body, and you only need to do it for a maximum of 1min and 30 seconds (with breaks) for it to see a difference. Its called HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), and if you do this, you will shift the flab

In fact on The One Show on earlier this week - 2 minutes of sprints were shown to be more effective than 20 minutes of jogging, can't find the link but theres a forum here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=47254023

You can target specific muscles with exercises- for example, with weight training you can target the biceps (with curls) or abdominals (with crunches).

However, you cannot target specific areas of fat. for example, no amount of sit-ups will affect stomach fat any more than any other exercise which uses up the same amount of energy.

When it comes to fat, it will be affected purely by the amount of energy used up by the exercise i.e. running will have the same effect on the waist as doing loads of sit-ups, as long as the energy used is the same in both cases.

If you're a lazy swine like me, a vibration machine will work wonders :hihi:

Whilst they don't improve your fitness levels they will help tone you up. I've lost a dress size in 3 weeks, I've incorporated it with healthy eating and now I'm seeing a difference it has got me motivated to go running :)

If you're a lazy swine like me, a vibration machine will work wonders :hihi:

Whilst they don't improve your fitness levels they will help tone you up. I've lost a dress size in 3 weeks, I've incorporated it with healthy eating and now I'm seeing a difference it has got me motivated to go running :)

Never heard them called that before :hihi:

The general rule of thumb is 75% nutrition and 25% exercise. Whoever said that if exercising your arms will affect your stomach is wrong, do you really think 25 bicep curls will do anything to your stomach?! If you can get your diet under control, such as eating less sugary things, as this contributes to stomach fat. Dont get me wrong, if you were doing chest press, this will work your core muscles. This is if your going to the gym?!

The general rule of thumb is 75% nutrition and 25% exercise. Whoever said that if exercising your arms will affect your stomach is wrong, do you really think 25 bicep curls will do anything to your stomach?! If you can get your diet under control, such as eating less sugary things, as this contributes to stomach fat. Dont get me wrong, if you were doing chest press, this will work your core muscles. This is if your going to the gym?!

Would disagree with this, for results then the effectiveness of the workout is key.

The diet itself only plays a very small part.

Edited by Shef_Fitness

When it comes to fat, it will be affected purely by the amount of energy used up by the exercise i.e. running will have the same effect on the waist as doing loads of sit-ups, as long as the energy used is the same in both cases.

Sit-ups will only target the abs and not the flabby area around the belly butty, sit-ups will have a small effect on the waist. There are different types of sit-ups, however the bog standard one will only get the abs area

To get that area (waist/belly button area) you need to be going for fat burning excercises - sprints is a perfect example of this as well as other fat burning excercises. We use fat burning excercises in all the sessions I run, and the results without any doubt speak for themselves.

What's the best excerise to do to get rid of your gut, if having a weak ankle is a problem and swimming isn't really much of an option.