2 months in Thailand - Vietnam - Laos

Has anyone been to Thailand, Vietnam or Laos before?

Me and my girlfriend are going to travelling round the three for 2 months. We are still saving and will hopefully have around £1800 each spending money to live day by day and also pay for accommodation.

Will this be enough for 2 months?

Thanks for any advice!

That will be plenty mate.

Go to Northern Thailand, can highly recommend Chaing Mai, It's cheaper up there with plenty to see and do. Temples, good food, city life and countryside.

Thanks for the advice :)

We are flying into Bangkok and staying in a hotel for 3 days (just whilst we settle) and then just making it up as we go along heading north to Laos and then eventually round to Vietnam.

I'm jealous.

Bangkok is a great place but too big for me. Chaing Mai is like a smaller (Still big) version and you can escape the hussle easily when you want to.

Try and do a beach for a few days also, Koh Samui is brilliant. You can get a return flight from Chaing Mai for about £60.

I booked my flights separately to my accommodation as I found it cheaper this way. Book accommodation for a few days then have a look around the area because you will find some great palces to stay for next to nothing.

The food is fantastic. Don't be afraid to eat from ther street stalls, it's some of the best food you will sample, just pick one with plenty of people eating there.

Edited by verona
spelling

The food is fantastic. Don't be afraid to eat from ther street stalls, it's some of the best food you will sample, just pick one with plenty of people eating there.

On that basis, make sure you take out some decent medical insurance!

why have you been there then?, if so share experience, so the OP can make an informed decision

Been loads of times and eaten at street stalls. Never been poorly or had an upset stomach once.

They are also one of the friendliest nationalities you could ever meet.

Edited by verona

We're flying to Bangkok and then heading up north towards Chang Mai and then heading into Laos.

We're then heading across to Vietnam towards Hanoi and then a bit further east towards Halong Bay and then heading south through Vietnam towards Ho Chi Minh City and then across the Gulf of Thailand (flight) to Phuket and then back up to Bangkok to finish.

There is a lot of travelling involved but we are going for 2 months. Is this realistic or too much?

@Verona - Did you travel by train a lot? If so are the trains fairly cheap?

Is there any specific route you can recommend?

I travelled by air, but, some of my friends have done it by rail and they loved it because you get to see so much more of the country and I believe the train is very cheap.

Two months is plenty of time.

Have a good one.

even with the strength of the baht (it's now less than 50, it has been as high as 75), 60 pounds / 3000 baht a day is loads of money for Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. You could stay longer than two months quite easily if you have 3500 pounds between you, quite easily and without having to watch the pennies.

heading to Laos from Chiang Mai you can get Visa on arrival at the border crossing for the Mekong slow boat to Lunagprabang, via Pakbeng. Don't get the speed boat, it's far too dangerous.

don't see why you haven't mentioned Cambodia. Angkor Wat is really the jewel in south east Asia's tourism crown and easy to head there from Laos, then over into Vietnam. The Vietnamese are now charging a whopping 100 US dollars for a visa.

This is something I intend to do next year. Although, my budget/time will be on a drastically less scale. The plan is to fly to Thailand, in which I will spend a week, before heading over into Cambodia and then getting the train down the coast of Vietnam. Still researching at the moment, but will be happy to share knowledge as and when it surfaces.

This is something I intend to do next year. Although, my budget/time will be on a drastically less scale. The plan is to fly to Thailand, in which I will spend a week, before heading over into Cambodia and then getting the train down the coast of Vietnam. Still researching at the moment, but will be happy to share knowledge as and when it surfaces.

As callippo has mentioned. Cambodia has got to be a must if you have the time and are heading that way.

Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to go to Cambodia, my friends did, and they thought it was amazing. They they said the killing fields are very emotional, and a must.