Doing up a tractor

We have an old tractor up at ours, its going on 30 years old and it comes in sooooo handy!

It got rid of most of the snow when the weather was bad weeks ago, helped with building our house, used for cutting the grass in the paddock, putting holes in the ground for fencing posts, god the list could go on, if FIL ever got rid of that tractor i WILL go mad :D

could the process be quickend with sanding attatchments on drills etc? or would that end up damaging something? as (i dont know whether any of you know about old tractors) there isnt a chassis as such, you basically have the engine, gear box and then rear axel with everything bolted on so these would be painted aswell. sanding wouldnt damage stuff like the engine block etc. would it?

the wallpaper paste idea is intriuging and i will probably give that a go, as you can imagine a tractor can pick up quite a bit of crud in 45 years.

as for the paint, it doesnt look like the do massey ferguson red, i know i couldnt believe it either. but the paint i was gonna use looks to be of a similar enamel type.

i worked at a cooker cleaning firm.so you tell how much fat is baked on a cooker over lots of years use,we used the wall paper paste and costic soda it did remove all.and the burners came up brand new..the company bought the cookers off the tip.and sold them on as reconditioned..iv tried it on old diffs and it works brilliant....for fridges we use bicarbanate of soda....

it the firm i worked for had a big plastic vat.the cooker was lowered in to it..for a bout 20 mins or so..if it was realy thick,and i mean realy thick..it was left over night..they was then taken out swilled down with water..left to dry..then into the show room..........

dont foget to use rubber gloves..and it eats paint brushes away and eye protection.....same as any......paint stripper..........

I would try and do it without paint stripper if possible its ok providing it gets a dam good clean down afterwords.Specaily if theres any rusty parts they need to be sorted out after using that.Can also confirm Tekaloid is a good choice as stated used it on many things.

what make of tractor? is it a runner?

its a massey feguson 135, and apart from tempramental electrics and the temperature being above 5 degrees it starts first time.

For all the rust on my Series IIa, it is all being removed with a decent twist wire brush on my grinder (and there is lots to go at on anything that is being re-used!!)

The 135 is a nice model, very popular and I assume quite good for spares availability as a result?

not a car but i was wondfering if someone could give me some advice on an old tractor i am gonna start to do up in the next few months. Mechanical stuff i am fine with and will work things out but the paint side of things ive never done before.

Before repainting obviousley the old paint/rust/and grime has to come off, what would be the best way to go about doing this with general equipment. Is there a cheap way of doing it that doesnt involve going out and buying a blasting kit or something similar.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

use alloy wheel cleaner to remove muck good stuff.done a couple of massey fergs before and the best way is to find someone that does commercial sand blasting.you will not look back as you can get that like new finish.if you got any problems contact me as my dad was a tractor mechanic (retiered now but very active).

to get rid of grease/grime 1-2 inch thick..no bull sh*T i use...1 gallon bucket plastic,some cheepo wall paper glue.and costic soda.put water in plastic bucket add wall paper glue until thick.add costic soda..paint on grime/grease.leave over night wash off and the grime/grease as gone..and its cheap............

Going to have to try this!

Hi Mate,

Have you started your tractor yet, if you need a hand doing the shotblasting drop me a line.

ALAN