15000 Shelf stacking apprenticeships, government jobs plan

Would you like your kids to be stuck in a dead end job? I think they'd get bored rather quickly in such a mundane job (apprenticeships lead to a career, a minimum wage job != a career IMO).

Then it would be incorrect, as Asda & Co-Op would then have to pay minimum wages (trainee == Minimum wage, apprentice < Minimum wage);).

much rather a "dead end job" which could give references towards a different job or self employment, than on the dole headed towards more dole money.

why do people not understand that a filler job is fine. If you work at a supermarket it doesn't disqualify you from applying for other jobs or doing educational courses whilst working.

Edited by llamatron

much rather a "dead end job" which could give references towards a different job or self employment, than on the dole headed towards more dole money.

why do people not understand that a filler job is fine. If you work at a supermarket it doesn't disqualify you from applying for other jobs or doing educational courses whilst working.

Again, you're misunderstanding my point. My point is the deliberate mis-use of the word "apprentice" to dress up yet another government scheme designed to reduce employment figures during a time when there are to be many people being dumped on benefits (YTS/YOPS by the back door).

These are not apprenticeships, they're traineeships. The "apprenticeship" is a method for big business to circumvent current wage laws.

Why does Asda need so many "apprentices"?

If they are needed, why have they not been already employed as trainees (as has always been the case)?

Why need the government to susbsidise them?

Who, within Asda, are the skilled people who are going to be teaching a "trade"?

How qualified are the people who are to be teaching the trade?

Again, you're misunderstanding my point. My point is the deliberate mis-use of the word "apprentice" to dress up yet another government scheme designed to reduce employment figures during a time when there are to be many people being dumped on benefits (YTS/YOPS by the back door).

These are not apprenticeships, they're traineeships. The "apprenticeship" is a method for big business to circumvent current wage laws.

If they are needed, why have they not been already employed as trainees (as has always been the case)?

Who, within Asda, are the skilled people who are going to be teaching a "trade"?

well that isn't the question you asked, you asked if we would be happy having our children in dead end jobs.

maybe they aren't needed. Maybe ASDA are doing something for their communities? Maybe not but its possible.

We still do not know what these apprenticeships entail or lead to and so we cannot dismiss them out of hand.

Where I do agree with you is that we as a country should be providing proper apprenticeships in trades that are needed. Building trades for example could be linked to an house building programne to provide affordable homes.

Our university students should be reading for degrees which will lead to opportunities in professions where we currently have shortages.

well that isn't the question you asked, you asked if we would be happy having our children in dead end jobs.

maybe they aren't needed. Maybe ASDA are doing something for their communities? Maybe not but its possible.

Looking at the employment and business practices of Wal-Mart one could surely be forgiven for being at least mildly sceptical?

Edited by Squiggs

Fact is - these are not apprenticeships, no way in this world or the next.

They are a cheaper way of filling jobs - that is true.

I do agree that its better to do something, than wait for your dole pay cheque at the end of the week and be kept by the taxpayer.

But lets at least be honest and call these jobs what they actually are, and not pretend that they are an apprenticesip in any way shape of form

The other danger that I would add by doing this, is the following.

Shelf Stacking is a low skilled job, thats a fact - hence the reason the pay is not great. Our economy is mainly low skilled work (fast food, retail etc...)

Whats to say that more apprenticeships won't be rolled out to other areas of work, rather than paying people the minmum wage to do the job?

Fact is - these are not apprenticeships, no way in this world or the next.

They are a cheaper way of filling jobs - that is true.

I do agree that its better to do something, than wait for your dole pay cheque at the end of the week and be kept by the taxpayer.

But lets at least be honest and call these jobs what they actually are, and not pretend that they are an apprenticesip in any way shape of form

we don't know what they are, no one has claimed to know. But don't let that stop you, me I prefer to find out the facts first. If they are just jobs paid badly evryone will leave but they will leave with a bit of experience and hopefully a reference and they are better than being on the dole.

'Apprenticeships' is a loose term, when are we going to get proper job creation? Asda isnt even a British company, its own by Walmart. This is a joke. I would encourage any young person to start there own Business or just stay on the dole, least you get stuff paid for and you wont be feeding the sausage grinder.

Edited by TJC1

The other danger that I would add by doing this, is the following.

Shelf Stacking is a low skilled job, thats a fact - hence the reason the pay is not great. Our economy is mainly low skilled work (fast food, retail etc...)

Whats to say that more apprenticeships won't be rolled out to other areas of work, rather than paying people the minmum wage to do the job?

the op claims its shelf stacking not ASDA or the government. There might be courses in management as well as more general retail.

So, soon the Parson Cross Estate (on the opening of the new Asda) will be full of Posh-People with a Qualification in Retail?

Once qualified, I supposed the wage will be paid in occordance?

Once qualified, I supposed the wage will be paid in occordance?

Yep. Same as a shelf stacker now - minimum wage.

These apprenticeships remind me of "defered success" instead of fail.