Network Joy....Help Please o' Kind ones :D

Hi,

Right then *deep breath*

I've checked the network card, and someone had disabled it, so I enabled it. This means the Router is now seeing the network card.

I went through the easy set-up software for the router, which apparently worked, as it said so, and I rebooted the pc.

I was then supposed to go thru the log-in programme which came with the set-up prog, it asks you for the host ip address, username and password, I put them all in but it won't connect (it should turn green at this point and allow you on to the next stage, but it isn't doing anything)

I went into my network connections, and on the one for what i'm doing (local area network connection 2) it says there is limited or no activity, and that I won't be able to connect to the internet.

So I tried to repair it, it takes ages, then says it can't repair it as it cannot renew the IP address.

This is as far as i've managed......

I've just done a ipconfig with the router...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\matthew hewitt>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-pxbopgxwjx

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Compaq NC3121 Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-C7-9B-CB-E3

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN Network Driver

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-8A-00-00-11

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.101.152

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\matthew hewitt>

Somewhere, it's not picking up an IP address. Right click on the connection and click properties. Select TCP\IP from the list and click the Properties box. Check to see if it's set for obtain automatically?

One of the most difficult procedures i find with computers is networking. 99% of the time it automatically configures itself based on its own surrounding the other 1% IS ALWAYS A RIGHT ROYAL pain in the posterior.

If you doubt the cables and you pass Sidney Street I will test their configuration and check for faults for you FREE.

Alternatively if you give up with the router route measure cable you want and i will make a crossover one up for you.

Or if possible convert the one you have.

Overall i would agree with the general path on here of using the router in the long run it would be better but will add i install networks often and if using older equipment its sometimes easier to remove the kit uninstall all related software and start again with all the kit in place and see if it automatically configures itself.

Yes it is set to obtain automatically.

in my Network Connections place, I've got two different LAN connections, one is;

Local Area network

Connected,Firewalled

WAN Network Driver

The other is:

Local Area network 2

Limited or no activity

Compaq somthing or other... (its not plugged in now for me to remmber)

Anyhow, why can't I just connect using the WAN network driver thing? it says it's connected? I don't know what it is...but it does have an IP address.

I've tried again to get the LAN 2 to repair itself, but it won't renew it's IP address.

Try setting the IP address to 10.0.0.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and leave the default gateway and DNS entries blank. Try connecting to the router at http://10.0.0.2/ It could be that the DHCP server service is turned off in the router so the PC isn't picking one up.

ok, I thought i'd have a go at getting this WAN Network Driver connection to work instead....

I went thru the set up and made the WAN the one to use instead of the Compaq, and it all went ok, I rebooted and it said it had connected (lil icon in the bottom corner and everything)

Then I went into the log-in bit and nothing....

So I went on to a webpage and typed in 10.0.0.2 to try and log in that way, and zilch...

So I tried to repair this connection, and it does the same error, it can't renew my IP address.

So although it's got an IP address, it can't access the internet via it, and it can't renew it to one that can.

Please tell me i'm missing somthing terrible obvious...?

So, at this very moment, i'm on the Internet writing this using my Bt Broadband Modem, but I also have another Icon for a Local Area COnnection, that reckons it's connected too!

The WAN thing is possibly the USB modem connection. WAN isn't what we're after here.

I think we've gone off at a tangent here with the WAN bit, not sure what you've done now?

Originally posted by beansforyou

ok, I thought i'd have a go at getting this WAN Network Driver connection to work instead....

I went thru the set up and made the WAN the one to use instead of the Compaq, and it all went ok, I rebooted and it said it had connected (lil icon in the bottom corner and everything)

Then I went into the log-in bit and nothing....

So I went on to a webpage and typed in 10.0.0.2 to try and log in that way, and zilch...

So I tried to repair this connection, and it does the same error, it can't renew my IP address.

So although it's got an IP address, it can't access the internet via it, and it can't renew it to one that can.

Please tell me i'm missing somthing terrible obvious...?

So, at this very moment, i'm on the Internet writing this using my Bt Broadband Modem, but I also have another Icon for a Local Area COnnection, that reckons it's connected too!

A LAN may well be connected - it being connected, and being connected to the internet are completely different

Well the WAN 'thingy' is under my LAN/ High Speed Internet connection settings in my Network Connections place

(the Broadband connections are in a seperate bit)

Also, I did all the WAN stuff whilst the Broadband Modem was Disconnected.

How can I get my pc to renew the IP addresses, be it either of the LAN connections I use?

I think thats what needs looking at?

(I can easily change the set-up back to the compaq LAN if required)

On the DoS box, go to ipconfig /renew - this will force the DHCP to get a new IP address - it should/may work.

:)

Just so you know DoS is denial of service i.e. pillocks knackering websites. DOS is MS-DOS, the command line interface of yesteryear. :wink:

I doubt the ipconfig /renew will work as I don't think there is a DHCP server switched on, hence the failing to get IP addresses.