Weight-loss support thread.

Yeah it does, sorry but if you eat correctly and excersise you will lose weight and if you can do an extreme diet then a good session of cardio workout (will shift the pounds that leads to losing stones) will be a doddle!!

I cannot see the point of restricting everything you eat, not eating for x amount of time and living on liquid diets, lifes too short eat healthy and excersise, makes you feel better too!

I walk my dog 3hrs a day. I was barely eating HALF the recommended calories for a female a week. I didnt gain or lose anything in 4 months!

You might not, but I do. Do you know how annoying it is when people ALWAYS tell you your daft/stupid/its dangerous/crazy/fad diet? For some it might be a fad diet, for me it isnt. Life is too short for me to spend years being unhappy isnt it? Im happy where I am now, im loosing weight and im on top of the world. Food isnt an issue at the moment. So seriously, its not, for me (and many others) an easy decision.

Edited by gina2007
put weeks not months!

No offence gina but walking your dog is hardly a vigorous workout that will see you lose weight, it's hard and painfull but the benifits out weigh that and yeah life is too short to limit yourself to liquid diets and boring food!

As I said before we teach our kids to eat all there food up and implement a healthy balanced diet, I wouldn't like my children to see me do a diet like that or think that it was okay, but good luck.

I know that you should enjoy food but there are people out there who live just to eat - I was one of them. Emotions dont really play a part. Its a do it or dont diet. Social situations, you drink black tea/coffee, soda water or plain old water. Meals out, well, eating steamed veg (certain vegetables!) and meat (beef/chicken) or fish wont knock ketosis out but it will slow your weekly loss down. To be fair, its a 6 month diet (thats my limit to being on this) so I dont think it'll have ill effects on my family when im still cooking them meals but having a bath whilst theyre eating. I did watch 'will my crash diet kill me' and im on the second series of it (as far as im aware at the minute) the exante isnt a great example (did you watch the cambridge one?) because the way this programme portrayed it is just how they wanted to portray it, which is why im thinking of backing out of my footage being used for 2nd series. Its edited to show the bad parts of the diet. The girl who did cambridge, ive read her blog/diary, and she even said it wasnt shown how it was in reality. There were badly edited bits that made out she was saying this diet is well, crap. I do see the negatives, ie someone at 11stone wanting to try it - it wouldnt work for them as they wouldnt have the chance to kick old habit before returning to normal foods. But if youre very overweight, there are no negatives if you do it correctly. They arent dangerous, if its done correct. Its no good people doing it and drinking 1ltr of water per day - that will kill you in the end. You have to follow the strict guides that are given and you will shift the flab. Following the maintainence and refeed programmes help tonnes too because you realise how different food is, in terms on flavours. People have commented on this, that bland stuff before is 100% better after a stint on a TFR.

Because old fashioned eat less move more simply doesnt work for everyone. You dont pile the lbs straight back on, unless you just go back to eating what was normal for you beforehand. Theyre not about loosing a few lbs either, its about loosing alot of lbs (ive 100lbs to get rid off. its not 4lbs to fit into those must have jeans)

Well for me personally social situations involve food and wine but before when i went out I'd drink wine now i dilute with soda and instead of ordering pasta or pizza I order salad based dishes. We went to pizza express last week and I had the pizza with the salad in the middle.

It obviously is a great example of a crash diet if it is featured on the show????

When I say negatives I mean negatives as in not been able to eat similar to friends when your out or not been able to have a sensible portion of chips.

I have the same amount of weight to lose so I do understand and I am determined but I just can't figure out how it will keep off once the strict diet ends?

If you were eating and exercising like you say you were prior to the diet then if that was me I would presume there was a health/medical issue because calorie control and exercise DOES work.

Believe me I have tried diets, slimming pills etc but I never stuck at it like this before and I now realise my diet will be for life and is a lifestyle change, yes im counting points but its no different from counting calories.

No offence gina but walking your dog is hardly a vigorous workout that will see you lose weight, it's hard and painfull but the benifits out weigh that and yeah life is too short to limit yourself to liquid diets and boring food!

As I said before we teach our kids to eat all there food up and implement a healthy balanced diet, I wouldn't like my children to see me do a diet like that or think that it was okay, but good luck.

3hrs is alot though especially with a lowered intake of calories. If I was doing that I would expect some results.

I am dieting but Im making meals from scratch with all fresh fruit, veg and meat and my daughter has a great diet. I would hate to think that I was setting a bad example to her, so I completley agree with you.

Whether a 3 hour walk is good exercise really depends on how you're walking really doesn't it?

Strolling in the park isn't likely to burn many calories, but how about decent walking up and down hills? Doesn't that count as aerobic exercise?

I've had a week off from both being good and going to the gym because I've been stuck in my recliner with a back strain, but when I've been to see my osteopath tomorrow I think I'll be well enough to go back to the routine at the end of the week. I haven't weighed myself (I only weigh myself once a month or so- I'm not bothered about little fluctuations, only the overall trend) but if I've not put on a stupid amount of weight in the last week then I can resume from where I left off and aim to lose the last kilogram to take me up to 2 stones lost (I know, I'm mixing my units).

I've still got lots to lose, but it's not going to happen overnight. As long as it happens, I don't care how slowly it happens.

I cant remember what I weighed the last time I checked in, I have been hovering around the same weight for ages now. At the start of the thread I had lost 34lb and now I have lost 37lb. So 3lb over all not racing along am I? At leat its going down though :hihi:

As long as it happens, I don't care how slowly it happens.

:hihi: I have the same thoughts. I am now aiming for 1/2 pound loss a week and it will take me into summer to get rid of my last stone. Decided I would concentrate on my running and excerise instead as I have realised I can't do this and be too low on calories. Lowish calories seem to be ok if you are just doing the odd bit of excerise but I'm doing at least 2 hours everyday and need the energy to keep it up.

I was reading an article about athletes today, if they need to loose weight they tend not go over a calorie deficient of 300 calories a day overwise it effects performance too much.

I cant remember what I weighed the last time I checked in, I have been hovering around the same weight for ages now. At the start of the thread I had lost 34lb and now I have lost 37lb. So 3lb over all not racing along am I? At leat its going down though :hihi:

Well done :)

Hardly easy workout either. Shes a collie cross. It takes some work knocking her energy out and I cant let her off-lead yet. 2hrs at 6am, jogging around the fields, playing games etc so although I say its walking her, its more than that. I dont quite get the problem here? Youre saying lifes too short to be on liquid diets, but lifes to short to be unhappy. Im happy on liquid diet.

Well for me personally social situations involve food and wine but before when i went out I'd drink wine now i dilute with soda and instead of ordering pasta or pizza I order salad based dishes. We went to pizza express last week and I had the pizza with the salad in the middle.

It obviously is a great example of a crash diet if it is featured on the show????

When I say negatives I mean negatives as in not been able to eat similar to friends when your out or not been able to have a sensible portion of chips.

I have the same amount of weight to lose so I do understand and I am determined but I just can't figure out how it will keep off once the strict diet ends?

If you were eating and exercising like you say you were prior to the diet then if that was me I would presume there was a health/medical issue because calorie control and exercise DOES work.

Believe me I have tried diets, slimming pills etc but I never stuck at it like this before and I now realise my diet will be for life and is a lifestyle change, yes im counting points but its no different from counting calories.

Its featured on the show yes but most of the diets were portrayed as 'bad'. They did seem to 'slag' them off. Chances are you will regain something, but basically you swap all your foods, white bread for wholemeal bread, rice for brown rice. You change your lifestyle. Lots of people go onto slimming world or weightwatchers, and get tips on this style of eating. Your stomach shrinks too - so you'll feel full faster. Unfortunatly, according to my GP, there isnt anything wrong. I dont judge anyone on how theyre doing it, I wish the best of luck and I hope you get the results you want. I just wish sometimes people could see it from both sides.

Whether a 3 hour walk is good exercise really depends on how you're walking really doesn't it?

Strolling in the park isn't likely to burn many calories, but how about decent walking up and down hills? Doesn't that count as aerobic exercise?

I've had a week off from both being good and going to the gym because I've been stuck in my recliner with a back strain, but when I've been to see my osteopath tomorrow I think I'll be well enough to go back to the routine at the end of the week. I haven't weighed myself (I only weigh myself once a month or so- I'm not bothered about little fluctuations, only the overall trend) but if I've not put on a stupid amount of weight in the last week then I can resume from where I left off and aim to lose the last kilogram to take me up to 2 stones lost (I know, I'm mixing my units).

I've still got lots to lose, but it's not going to happen overnight. As long as it happens, I don't care how slowly it happens.

Not sure if you know the fields behind my house from when you came up some time ago? Well, they are where we go, 2hrs running around, playing tug tie. Its not a solid 2hrs in the morning, sometimes we play for an hour then do 20minutes training then play for another half hour or so, but it tires me out and works a sweat up. Then I do 1 hr in the evening, where we stick to the roads, going up the main road towards the traffic lights and around that area.

Again, I hope you lose what you want too. And it makes you happy. Youve done brill so far :)

Well done to everyone who has lost weight, what ever way they have done it. :thumbsup:

What works for one doesn't work for all. I've struggled with my weight for a long time. When I reached my heaviest about 5 years ago I decided to do something about it. Over the years I've been on every diet under the sun. From silly crash diets, to WeightWatchers and Slimming World. I've finally decided that Slimming World works for me, and when my weight was slowly going back up towards the end of last year I rejoined and decided to do something about it before it went to far.

What I find difficult is the maintaining part. It's quite easy when you are losing as you are following a specific plan and as long as you stick to the rules, you loose each week. I found it a steady weight loss, a pound to 2 pounds each week, which is fine.

When it comes to maintaing there are no hard and fast rules to follow. My weight never seems to stay the same and now I'm back at my target weight I still don't think I have found the answer just yet with regards to maintaining. Although I am upping my excersize and hoping that will make the difference.

It's difficult for anyone that has any kind of weight issue. I know with me, I will always have it. And yes it would be easy to think "oh what the hell" I don't care I'm eating that.... but I know in the end that will make me more miserable. Some people are just prone to putting on weight easily and I'm one of those, you just have to learn to live with it.

Good luck to everyone and keep at it, you'll all be better for it in the end. :D

Went to my SW club last night for a weigh in and the increased excersize seems to have paid off as I've lost 1 1/2 pounds this week. Just another 1 1/2 pounds to go to get back to my target weight, then I want to try and get 3 pounds below that before I go on holiday.

Going out on Saturday night for a meal so must stay strong. Any advice on what to have at Strada? I think they do a seafood pasta, I was going to have that on an EE day, it's got white wine in it so It will have some syns, and possible also some syns for oil. Would you allow 10 sysn for this?

Ooops.... double post!

Edited by scoop

Had my worst week at slimming world this week (Week 6), I'd only lost half a pound. Due to drinking too much wine last weekend which led to chocolate cake and various other uncounted 'syns'!

I've lost 13lb in total, so overall I'm finding it very good -

Ho hum, must try harder!