Weight-loss support thread.

My bold.

But how was this research conducted? I know of atleast 100 people who lost and maintained the losses. Its all good and well, people who are promoting saying they dont work. I think those who have tried it (or people just not promoting) should be able to have a say really. Im on VLCD, and im planning a refeed and maintaining programme follow up, I have 100% confidence in myself that VLCD will work for me. I will post when ive finished, and my results etc. Personally, unless youve followed a VLCD, I dont see how you can comment on their bad side effects (when there are plenty of good ones)

Daisy, me personally I dont think you have much to loose. I dont think a VLCD, is something that you'll maintain at. Total replacements sort of kick the habits you have, from the extent of not eating for a few months. If you were to follow TFR for a few months, you'd end up severely underweight. But doing it for a few weeks, you wouldnt kick old habits and maintain (this is of course my opinion). Good luck, whichever you decide.

I hope it works for you hun but my friend lost 8 stone last year on a vlcd and 10 months on she has put 9 stone bk on and had all the councilling and everything, and the most shocking thing is she is now quite ill due to the side affects of the diet, it has damaged her kidneys, all i can say is please be carful at the end of the day our bodies are not made to survive on such low calories.

Hi can anyone help i am thinking of going on a meal replacement diet or similar. i am 30 and i am 5.6 and weigh about 11st i think (maybe less) scales have broken

i hate my body its disgusting my stomach is so fat i have to wear control pants under anything tight. i have really bad love handles. i am a size 14 this is the biggest i have ever been sometimes i cant even get in to a size 14.

i dont eat badly though and rarely drink alcohol. i do go to the gym about twice a week. but i need to loose weight badly. i dont want to have to cook my own meals and count calories all the time so something where food is supplied or a food substitute would be best.

what is the best meal replacement diet? i have looked at diet chef but its £195 a month and i cant afford that.

Daisy,

Unfortunately there is no quick fix to healthy sustainable weight loss. Meal replacments work only as they restrict your calorie intake but they can have many side effects. The biggest problem is they dont manage your emotions or understandings of food. Research has found that when you finish a "Very Low Calorie" plan that the weight returns with extra. I am a qualified nutritionist and a secondary school teacher of the subject. I feel that I could really help you at a fraction of the cost of £195 of a food subsitute that may in the long term cause weight gain. I will provide you with personalised 1-1 coaching that suits you, we can incorporate diet plans, cooking lessons on how to adapt recipes and portion sizes and exercise support. This will change your whole view on dieting - as its not. Its healthy lifestyle. I myself battled with my weight (I used to be a size 16 and now I am an 8) I tried all the diets out there, but with what I learnt I applied and I know the facts and how to apply it. It would be fantastic if I could help you, PM me :)

Charlotte BSc Hons APHNutr PGCE

the thing is a dont eat badly. i dont drink, i dont eat chocolate all day etc etc

yes we do have a take away maybe once a week/once every 2 weeks but the rest of the time i eat ok.

typical day -

breakfast special k cerial with semi skimmed milk, small glass of fresh orange

dinner - meat sandwich on white bread (2 slices) with light mayo, yoghart (muller light), bag of low calorie crisps

tea, - quiche with salad, pasta, rice, soup etc etc

i dont drink tea or coffee or fizzy drinks and i dont have large portions.

i do have IBS though and i am allergic to loads of food so i do get bloated all the time.

I hope it works for you hun but my friend lost 8 stone last year on a vlcd and 10 months on she has put 9 stone bk on and had all the councilling and everything, and the most shocking thing is she is now quite ill due to the side affects of the diet, it has damaged her kidneys, all i can say is please be carful at the end of the day our bodies are not made to survive on such low calories.

See, I understand that sometimes it happens, sometimes people dont maintain etc. But what I dont understand is if your friend went through the hassle, the mental strains what VLCD throw at you, and lost 8 stone. Why didnt she, when she started gaining, think 'oh crap, I best take a look at how the weights creeping back on'? I dont understand it. Surely there becomes a point if youre regaining, and you know you need to sort it out. As for being ill, with kidney problems etc, I honestly think thats down to not enough water and the ketosis. Personally, ive seen them work for other people, and those have maintained. Theres a fair few diaries on a forum I use, ranging from those who started 1 day ago and those 6 months into it, to those who came off a year ago and have maintained. Compared to about ever 20 that are maintaining, theres probably 1 that isnt. I just dont get how you can let it 'creep back', surely you notice? :confused:

See, I understand that sometimes it happens, sometimes people dont maintain etc. But what I dont understand is if your friend went through the hassle, the mental strains what VLCD throw at you, and lost 8 stone. Why didnt she, when she started gaining, think 'oh crap, I best take a look at how the weights creeping back on'? I dont understand it. Surely there becomes a point if youre regaining, and you know you need to sort it out. As for being ill, with kidney problems etc, I honestly think thats down to not enough water and the ketosis. Personally, ive seen them work for other people, and those have maintained. Theres a fair few diaries on a forum I use, ranging from those who started 1 day ago and those 6 months into it, to those who came off a year ago and have maintained. Compared to about ever 20 that are maintaining, theres probably 1 that isnt. I just dont get how you can let it 'creep back', surely you notice? :confused:

Because by that time hun she was so ill that she had to stop completely, she is now under medical care at the hallamshire and may need long term medication and treatment for the damage that the diet has done to her kidneys

Because by that time hun she was so ill that she had to stop completely, she is now under medical care at the hallamshire and may need long term medication and treatment for the damage that the diet has done to her kidneys

I still dont get it, why did she lose the initial weight if she was getting more and more ill? May I just ask, which diet it was she was following? I dont doubt that she got ill, im just wondering why she carried on if she was getting ill. The second I get a headache, I eat. It is low carb high protein foods I eat but I did (as do many others) vigorous research on these diets. Its not for the fainted hearted, its a bloomin' hard diet, but I dont think VLCD and your friends problems are connected, unless she didnt drink the water allowance. Thats the only way to get ill. Or, as far as ive read up about it (the horror stories and good ones) the only way you get ill is headaches which is sorted with a painkiller (if its not, youre advised to see your gp). Constipation, or looser bowels. You do feel cold sometimes but youre told that before starting these kind of diets and you should look out for the warning signs.

You also said she had to just come off it, thats probably why she regained. You have to follow the maintaining and refeed parts to maintain the weight loss. These diets get all the bad press (abit like certain breeds of dogs) but the good stories never come out, its down to just everyday people like me to say 'well I did it' (obviously not yet as ive not done it).

My bold.

But how was this research conducted? I know of atleast 100 people who lost and maintained the losses. Its all good and well, people who are promoting saying they dont work. I think those who have tried it (or people just not promoting) should be able to have a say really. Im on VLCD, and im planning a refeed and maintaining programme follow up, I have 100% confidence in myself that VLCD will work for me. I will post when ive finished, and my results etc. Personally, unless youve followed a VLCD, I dont see how you can comment on their bad side effects (when there are plenty of good ones)

Daisy, me personally I dont think you have much to loose. I dont think a VLCD, is something that you'll maintain at. Total replacements sort of kick the habits you have, from the extent of not eating for a few months. If you were to follow TFR for a few months, you'd end up severely underweight. But doing it for a few weeks, you wouldnt kick old habits and maintain (this is of course my opinion). Good luck, whichever you decide.

Gina with all due respect I have tried them they made me sick and they didnt work for me or many others I know. Im not saying they cant work for everyone, but the problem is they dont tackle peoples emotions, habits, addiction whatever issue you want to label it as. VLCD is not natural for the body, what is natural is healthy balanced meals and exercise. Food should be enjoyable not a processed shake. I have studied a science degree.... a VCLD puts your body into starvation mode, therefore when you start eating again the body is more inclined to store the excess calories its not longer used to as fat. There is plenty of research out there, Im going to list them all off.

Gina I really hope this works for you, how much weight have you lost? which program did you follow? If you record all you eat and exercise you should find this helps keep the weight off (research proven on people who have lost and keep weight off) good luck.

Gina with all due respect I have tried them they made me sick and they didnt work for me or many others I know. Im not saying they cant work for everyone, but the problem is they dont tackle peoples emotions, habits, addiction whatever issue you want to label it as. VLCD is not natural for the body, what is natural is healthy balanced meals and exercise. Food should be enjoyable not a processed shake. I have studied a science degree.... a VCLD puts your body into starvation mode, therefore when you start eating again the body is more inclined to store the excess calories its not longer used to as fat. There is plenty of research out there, Im going to list them all off.

Gina I really hope this works for you, how much weight have you lost? which program did you follow? If you record all you eat and exercise you should find this helps keep the weight off (research proven on people who have lost and keep weight off) good luck.

I know you say they made you sick, do you mean physically like vomit or ill as in sick? They only dont work, if you dont follow them properly. I can reassure you, they do kick habits. If someone is drinking shakes and soups for X months, theyre not going to want to stuff a dominos down themselves (as they would before). Unless im the only person in the world who is of the mind that if im putting myself through this, spending all this money, I am not going to eat crap once im back on normal foods. Why should food be enjoyable? Theres a whole world of difference between enjoying food and living to eat. Im of the mind now where, I eat to live, not live to eat. I dont need food to make me happy, I need food to live and be healthy. Im eating minimal calories now, but with the full RDA of everything else. It does put your body into 'starvation' mode but you dont feel it. I and others, certainly dont. You do get pangs in your first few weeks, but as I say, youve got to be strong willed for this type of diet.

Im not eating, im still doing TFR. Ive done a week on Lipotrim (pharmacy based support). Come off for 3/4weeks, and have done exante for the past few weeks. I started at 202lbs. Did the week and went to 180something lbs, ate for 3 weeks, went to 225lbs. Started exante at 225lbs and in around 3 weeks ive lost just under 25lbs. Im not 100% sure as I dont need to weigh in weekly.

I know you say they made you sick, do you mean physically like vomit or ill as in sick? They only dont work, if you dont follow them properly. I can reassure you, they do kick habits. If someone is drinking shakes and soups for X months, theyre not going to want to stuff a dominos down themselves (as they would before). Unless im the only person in the world who is of the mind that if im putting myself through this, spending all this money, I am not going to eat crap once im back on normal foods. Why should food be enjoyable? Theres a whole world of difference between enjoying food and living to eat. Im of the mind now where, I eat to live, not live to eat. I dont need food to make me happy, I need food to live and be healthy. Im eating minimal calories now, but with the full RDA of everything else. It does put your body into 'starvation' mode but you dont feel it. I and others, certainly dont. You do get pangs in your first few weeks, but as I say, youve got to be strong willed for this type of diet.

Im not eating, im still doing TFR. Ive done a week on Lipotrim (pharmacy based support). Come off for 3/4weeks, and have done exante for the past few weeks. I started at 202lbs. Did the week and went to 180something lbs, ate for 3 weeks, went to 225lbs. Started exante at 225lbs and in around 3 weeks ive lost just under 25lbs. Im not 100% sure as I dont need to weigh in weekly.

Hi gina im sorry to say I completley disagree with you, food should be enjoyable and healthy food can also be enjoyable. I weigh nearly the same as yourself and am following ww I have lost 8.5lb in 5 weeks I know this isn't much but I think the key is slow and steady.

Restricting yourself with shakes and soups can't be healthy for people emotionally in my opininion.

How do you cope in social situations such as meals/drinks out with family and friends?

I know that I would hate for my child to become obese but would also hate for her to not eat due to me been on a shake/soup diet this would not be teaching my daughter to eat a balanced diet as our mealtimes are together.

Did you watch the crash Diet series? The exante diet is a great example of a crash diet.

I do wish you luck with your weight loss but surely you must see the negatives as well as the positives. I really do believe these diets can be dangerous.

Surley diets like this are not the long term answer, what kind of lifestyle is that to lead? Or example to set to your children if you are replacing food with shakes.

I cannot understand if this diet takes will power and determination, why not just stick to the old fashioned healthy eating and exercise ratio and lose the weight in a sensible and long term way.

Don't get me wrong I have done fad/crash diets and they are okay if you not bothered about piling the pounds straight back on! I did these diets if I was going out and needed the dress to zip up!! I've done slimming pills, all are great for a quick fix, but do I want to yo-yo diet all my life or waste money on diet pills nope!

I just relealised good eating and exercise are they key.

Crikey, looking at these posts, I think I'd rather be overweight than suffer these side effects.

Why put yourself through that? it seems like an absolute living hell to me.

Not eating properly, becoming ill, denying yourself wonderful food :confused: absolutely crazy.

Can you dietters not find a more positive way to lose weight? I mentioned a group of you getting together and going for a walk around Dam Flask, you could even incorporate the odd coffee break on your way round. (post 124 on this thread)

If you gave my idea a go, and ate a balanced healthy diet it would cause you to break into a sweat, but at least you would not suffer the side effects that keep popping up

Hi gina im sorry to say I completley disagree with you, food should be enjoyable and healthy food can also be enjoyable. I weigh nearly the same as yourself and am following ww I have lost 8.5lb in 5 weeks I know this isn't much but I think the key is slow and steady.

Restricting yourself with shakes and soups can't be healthy for people emotionally in my opininion.

How do you cope in social situations such as meals/drinks out with family and friends?

I know that I would hate for my child to become obese but would also hate for her to not eat due to me been on a shake/soup diet this would not be teaching my daughter to eat a balanced diet as our mealtimes are together.

Did you watch the crash Diet series? The exante diet is a great example of a crash diet.

I do wish you luck with your weight loss but surely you must see the negatives as well as the positives. I really do believe these diets can be dangerous.

I know that you should enjoy food but there are people out there who live just to eat - I was one of them. Emotions dont really play a part. Its a do it or dont diet. Social situations, you drink black tea/coffee, soda water or plain old water. Meals out, well, eating steamed veg (certain vegetables!) and meat (beef/chicken) or fish wont knock ketosis out but it will slow your weekly loss down. To be fair, its a 6 month diet (thats my limit to being on this) so I dont think it'll have ill effects on my family when im still cooking them meals but having a bath whilst theyre eating. I did watch 'will my crash diet kill me' and im on the second series of it (as far as im aware at the minute) the exante isnt a great example (did you watch the cambridge one?) because the way this programme portrayed it is just how they wanted to portray it, which is why im thinking of backing out of my footage being used for 2nd series. Its edited to show the bad parts of the diet. The girl who did cambridge, ive read her blog/diary, and she even said it wasnt shown how it was in reality. There were badly edited bits that made out she was saying this diet is well, crap. I do see the negatives, ie someone at 11stone wanting to try it - it wouldnt work for them as they wouldnt have the chance to kick old habit before returning to normal foods. But if youre very overweight, there are no negatives if you do it correctly. They arent dangerous, if its done correct. Its no good people doing it and drinking 1ltr of water per day - that will kill you in the end. You have to follow the strict guides that are given and you will shift the flab. Following the maintainence and refeed programmes help tonnes too because you realise how different food is, in terms on flavours. People have commented on this, that bland stuff before is 100% better after a stint on a TFR.

Surley diets like this are not the long term answer, what kind of lifestyle is that to lead? Or example to set to your children if you are replacing food with shakes.

I cannot understand if this diet takes will power and determination, why not just stick to the old fashioned healthy eating and exercise ratio and lose the weight in a sensible and long term way.

Don't get me wrong I have done fad/crash diets and they are okay if you not bothered about piling the pounds straight back on! I did these diets if I was going out and needed the dress to zip up!! I've done slimming pills, all are great for a quick fix, but do I want to yo-yo diet all my life or waste money on diet pills nope!

I just relealised good eating and exercise are they key.

Because old fashioned eat less move more simply doesnt work for everyone. You dont pile the lbs straight back on, unless you just go back to eating what was normal for you beforehand. Theyre not about loosing a few lbs either, its about loosing alot of lbs (ive 100lbs to get rid off. its not 4lbs to fit into those must have jeans)

I know that you should enjoy food but there are people out there who live just to eat - I was one of them. Emotions dont really play a part. Its a do it or dont diet. Social situations, you drink black tea/coffee, soda water or plain old water. Meals out, well, eating steamed veg (certain vegetables!) and meat (beef/chicken) or fish wont knock ketosis out but it will slow your weekly loss down. To be fair, its a 6 month diet (thats my limit to being on this) so I dont think it'll have ill effects on my family when im still cooking them meals but having a bath whilst theyre eating. I did watch 'will my crash diet kill me' and im on the second series of it (as far as im aware at the minute) the exante isnt a great example (did you watch the cambridge one?) because the way this programme portrayed it is just how they wanted to portray it, which is why im thinking of backing out of my footage being used for 2nd series. Its edited to show the bad parts of the diet. The girl who did cambridge, ive read her blog/diary, and she even said it wasnt shown how it was in reality. There were badly edited bits that made out she was saying this diet is well, crap. I do see the negatives, ie someone at 11stone wanting to try it - it wouldnt work for them as they wouldnt have the chance to kick old habit before returning to normal foods. But if youre very overweight, there are no negatives if you do it correctly. They arent dangerous, if its done correct. Its no good people doing it and drinking 1ltr of water per day - that will kill you in the end. You have to follow the strict guides that are given and you will shift the flab. Following the maintainence and refeed programmes help tonnes too because you realise how different food is, in terms on flavours. People have commented on this, that bland stuff before is 100% better after a stint on a TFR.

Because old fashioned eat less move more simply doesnt work for everyone. You dont pile the lbs straight back on, unless you just go back to eating what was normal for you beforehand. Theyre not about loosing a few lbs either, its about loosing alot of lbs (ive 100lbs to get rid off. its not 4lbs to fit into those must have jeans)

Yeah it does, sorry but if you eat correctly and excersise you will lose weight and if you can do an extreme diet then a good session of cardio workout (will shift the pounds that leads to losing stones) will be a doddle!!

I cannot see the point of restricting everything you eat, not eating for x amount of time and living on liquid diets, lifes too short eat healthy and excersise, makes you feel better too!