Fargate at lunchtime

There's a man who walks up and down Fargate all Sunday asking if he can 'buy' a fag off you. You give him one for free cos you don't want to feel tight, I assume he sells them on. I've seen him every Sunday for the past 3 months.

Originally posted by desy

I once got stopped on there to look at the packaging for Stones beer. Went into the crypt of the church spent about 20 mins there. Thought here goes free booze as a gift. The lady then apologised and said that they could not give beer away because we were in a church and would a bar of chocolate do.

Similar thing happened to me. They gave me a pen.

like i said i dont really mind the charity ones (although i felt like telling the woman who was so cheesy last week saying the food i had looked nice before asking me to buy a "gag" mag to go away

but people like the gour... men (i refuse to say or type the word) or the insurance scum who prey on people just to make a quick buck themselves.

FOR GODS SAKE IF WE WANT YOUR SERVICES WE WILL COME TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

that Repent and Turn to God man stood on my foot really hard once while he was wielding his placard at people. I have paid for my sins.

Luckily I look so young for my age the clipboard people rarely bother me, or if they do they say 'are you 18?' in patronising voices first in which case I just say no (i'm 23) and they leave me alone.

my brother gave me a name for the people in the little yellow jackets

CHUGGERS

'charity muggers'

Well I thought it was funny I'd not heard it before. Think I'm of the belief charities should stand quietly in the corner with their collecting tin, if you want to give to a partiular cause you will search them out. It seems a bit business like and phoney when you see the same people week after week and all that has changed is the name on the back of their jackets........they can't be that philanthropic and support everything can they? I counted once and was stopped 11 times between TJ Hughes and the bottom of the Moor, Big Issue sellers, charities, surveys, have you got any change, think its getting to saturation point....how much change/time do they think people have?

my god yeah! whats going on, its like you have to dodge em and they try n send u on a guilt trip!!

I wonder what the council's take on all this is?

Don't you need a permit to be doing these things in a public place?

Surely there must be a limit to the number of people doing surveys and selling things in one spot?

I understand that noone is allowed to do surveys at all in Meadowhall.

As has been pointed out, here is the one reason for choosing Meadowhall. Although, when the weather is bad presumably these pavement touters won't be out in the rain.

I believe that the frequency of harassment does detract from the quality of the City Centre.

I also believe that the actions of these people conflict with the "vision" of the 'City Centre Management Team' which uses the word "welcoming".

I would recommend that people look at the City Centre Management Team page on the Council website.

I would also recommend that anyone who finds the harassment objectionable should write with their opinion/complaint to:

Sheffield City Council

City Centre Management Team

2nd Floor, Yorkshire House, 66 Leopold Street

Sheffield, S1 3RT

(0114) 2736895

citycentre.management@sheffield.gov.uk

I would also recommend copying the letter/e-mail to your local councillor or Jan Wilson.

Good thinking.In this way, perhaps we can make a difference.

Originally posted by Rich

Worst are the Gouranga Monks.. WTF is Gouranga anyway?! :loopy:

Lol, sounds like you need Gouranga there yourself.

gouranga means golden limbs and refers to the last avatar of god who descended to earth 500 years ago. This incarnation chaitanya mahaprabhu was golden in complexion and so named golden limbs - gouranga. He appeared in india and demonstrated how by chanting hare krishna mantra the soul is noticebly cleansed and perfection will be had through this process.

Everyone who is wound up by other people repeat after me:

Hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare

Originally posted by ryan123

my god yeah! whats going on, its like you have to dodge em and they try n send u on a guilt trip!!

Too right. The ones that ask me if I'm interested in human rights (or whichever issue) get to me most. Say 'yes' and they've got you, say 'no' and you've got your guilt trip. I once got asked if I was interested in supporting a particular charity while I was with someone who very obviously would have been a beneficiary of their fund-raising. Very questionable tactic I reckon. Can't decide whether to complain to the charity about that one...

Having said that, I've got a couple of standing orders (for small amounts) going to some worthy causes that wouldn't be getting anything from me if it weren't for those people on the streets.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Lol, sounds like you need Gouranga there yourself.

Everyone who is wound up by other people repeat after me:

Hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare

WTF?! :confused::rolleyes: