Sheffield castle market

Did they catch em, Who won.

I remember the 1980s, going into the castle market and was a haven of activity, I remember going to one of the fishmongers and nippling on a king prawn, or some cockles.

Shame the place has gone downhill

It's fine inside. I think most of you are put off by some of the people outside, in the neighbourhood, who are nothing to do with the market.

Been down the market today aint seen one drunk or low life i have even stopped and waited at the main entrance for half a hour no problems I miss all the fun.

The Jeremy Kyle team must have been down and chucked at net over them and transported them to the studio to make up the audience.

I'd love to shop at the market. It's just a shame that it is only open when I am at work, and I'm not about to go and buy veg saturday morning on the way to football and lug it all the way to Hull and back.

I too hope the new market isn't too modernised in the "trendy" way pricing out small stallholders but perhaps one late-night option would be ideal and maybe beneficial if, for example, Thursday the market was open 11am-7pm instead of 9-5

The Jeremy Kyle team must have been down and chucked at net over them and transported them to the studio to make up the audience.

Along with a few fiddling MP,S and falling out of nightclubs royals.

If things don't change they stay the same.

Why save an ugly useless pile of concrete that is sitting on part of our heritage.

It should never have been built.

Town planners did more damage than the Luftwaffe by building these horrible buildings.

The heratage is the market, there has been a market there a thousand years a lot longer than any castle of which there is only a small garden wall left.

i love going to castle market and will be glad when they get new premises

i go once a month to top up my freezer, i love being able to go round and see whos got what. i also visit the african stalls on both levels to get the ingredients that i use on the regular that i cant pick up from the supermarket ( nor would i want to )

then theres the cake supply shop, love having a wander round there, adding to my equipment

80% of the people i see in castle market are just regular folks, go down at lunchtime and you'll see shoppers in power suits, just like everywhere else

and the drunks outside, well if thier clogging the doors and dont move when ive asked them politely then ive been known to accidently run them over with my daughters wheelchair, they get the message quite swiftly

I there sumayyah,Dont count on the stalls you shop at now if the market moves.The rents and regulations [equiptmant] will be much higher leading to a yuppy type enviroment.

I there sumayyah,Dont count on the stalls you shop at now if the market moves.The rents and regulations [equiptmant] will be much higher leading to a yuppy type enviroment.

It's that sort of attitude that stops any progress in Sheffield and leaves outsiders believing we're backward.

They probably will have to pay slightly more but they'll also make a lot more so it evens itself out.

Castle Market isn't that bad - I like shopping there, I've been down this morning:roll:

It's that sort of attitude that stops any progress in Sheffield and leaves outsiders believing we're backward.

They probably will have to pay slightly more but they'll also make a lot more so it evens itself out.

It is an important point though. In Leeds the Corn Exchange use to house loads of independent shops (different sort from what you get at Markets mind). The council turfed them out by massively increasing the rent because they wanted some sort of gentrified food-hall thing instead (see link). The result is that two years later the Corn Exchange shops are more than half empty as no-one can afford to open a shop there. The high class bistro which was put at the bottom is rarely busy itself. Loads of independent businesses put out of business because the council wanted to gentrify the place.

Of course Shef council might not be as bad as Leeds in terms of this sort of thing, but it's worth being vigilent.

http://savecornexchange.blogspot.com/

It is an important point though. In Leeds the Corn Exchange use to house loads of independent shops (different sort from what you get at Markets mind). The council turfed them out by massively increasing the rent because they wanted some sort of gentrified food-hall thing instead (see link). The result is that two years later the Corn Exchange shops are more than half empty as no-one can afford to open a shop there. The high class bistro which was put at the bottom is rarely busy itself. Loads of independent businesses put out of business because the council wanted to gentrify the place.

Of course Shef council might not be as bad as Leeds in terms of this sort of thing, but it's worth being vigilent.

http://savecornexchange.blogspot.com/

I noticed that however I really don't think the council are going down that avenue as they're simple moving the market.

As for the corn exchange there were only a handful of independents from what I remember and the rest were chains Ark, Cyberdog etc