Delays roadworks a61 grenoside

major delays on a61 near junction of norfolk hill /norfolk arms pub in s35 grenoside - adding at least 45mins to an HOUR onto journeys, to get round 6ft of roadworks, traffic controlled /lights operating on both sides of road. 78, 66 and 77 buses caught up in it as well.

avoid if at all possible.

not emergency works, plastic fencing has been at side of road for some time now and today they have obviously started work.

take care everyone and avoid the area

xgx

Does anyone know how long this is going to go on for, is there a sign up? I only ask because my normal route to work through Ecclesfield has a sign up (just before the bend near the Jinnah) saying there's going to be major roadworks there til MAY! And the A61 was my Plan B, sigh!

I'm just not meant to get to work!!

x

I'd like to now how long this is going on too as I got to drop my brother off in the morning and will need to go down there

just had a dig about and found this on SCC website roadworks section

Penistone Road

Temporary traffic signals opposite number 12 for water main works

Promoter: Balfour Beatty

5th to 18th January 2011

so its there until 18th jan - joy of joys :rolleyes its a 8 mile detour via wortley or the 'long way' round via chap and ecclesfield and up wheel lane/salt box for me then! i nearly lost the will to live in the traffic - backed up to tankersley at one point....:o

the works in ecclesfield have an article online in the sheff star and it details which way the diversions will be - i hope the traffic police will do something about all the parking/40million buses that clog up ecclesfield village normally , as the diversion is right down high street and church st - lorries are not gonna make it and given it snarls up with a mini vs bus most days, its gonna be fun!

take care xgx

Edited by xgrifterx
forgot to sign off!

Oh dear gawd - thanks xgrifterx, I've just had a look at the Star article - sounds like a nightmare until the summer then?? :-(

I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to go left out of my road instead of right, head to Manchester, take the M6 down to Birmingham, the M42 and the M1 back up to Sheffield and get to work that way!!!!

brunette - that's a top answer! can you drop in on my sister whilst you are going past on the m42 and give her the xmas present we forgot?!!

its gonna take so long to get anywhere in/out of S35 soon, and with petrol sky high those longer routes and queuing traffic are going to be expensive and tiresome.

somehow we must keep our sanity - all we need is some football traffic and thats it, north sheff chaos.

off for a fried egg on toast now, am starvin

xgx

major delays on a61 near junction of norfolk hill /norfolk arms pub in s35 grenoside - adding at least 45mins to an HOUR onto journeys, to get round 6ft of roadworks, traffic controlled /lights operating on both sides of road. 78, 66 and 77 buses caught up in it as well.

avoid if at all possible.

not emergency works, plastic fencing has been at side of road for some time now and today they have obviously started work.

take care everyone and avoid the area

xgx

Is this still there today? If so, how bad is it? Thanks.

still there this morning 6th jan

came home the very long way so can't advise.

xgx

hello everyone

the traffic lights are back at this roadwork location and theres about 35-40mins delay at the mo. (mon 10th jan - 6pm)

take another route and save yourself the delay.

cheers

xgx

I got caught up in it tonight, wasn't best pleased I can tell you. Can't see why they couldn't shift the cones in at night when they're not working on it. :huh::confused:

what a nightmare, traffic was queing almost back to the jet garage at 5.20pm ... managed to turn off down towards Ecclesfield and take a bit of a detour to get past it.

just had a dig about and found this on SCC website roadworks section

Penistone Road

Temporary traffic signals opposite number 12 for water main works

Promoter: Balfour Beatty

5th to 18th January 2011

so its there until 18th jan - joy of joys :rolleyes its a 8 mile detour via wortley or the 'long way' round via chap and ecclesfield and up wheel lane/salt box for me then! i nearly lost the will to live in the traffic - backed up to tankersley at one point....:o

the works in ecclesfield have an article online in the sheff star and it details which way the diversions will be - i hope the traffic police will do something about all the parking/40million buses that clog up ecclesfield village normally , as the diversion is right down high street and church st - lorries are not gonna make it and given it snarls up with a mini vs bus most days, its gonna be fun!

take care xgx

There is nothing realistically they can do. The only road for the busses to use that run on the common is the village. No other roads are available.

The lorries and goods vechiles can use the M1 then back track but there are few roads to get past Ecclesfield to Chapeltown etc. Busses like the Barnley and High Green/Chapeltown ones have only the village to use as they have to re-join the road from Church Street to get to Chapeltown. Only problem is it will render the timtables ineffective and we'll take ages to get to and from work.

It would have helped if the council hadn't narrowed parts of the village or put in speed bumps. You couldn't speed through the village anway.

Realistically the council should prohibit parking in parts of the village that would help in places especially outside the chipshop near the Black Bull.

Having said all this the common really does need rebuilding and has done for two years now.