Is london Road turning into the new Eccy road?

London Road is the old Ecclesall Rd if you know what I mean?

It used to be a great place to go for pubs and bars.

Agree there are some great reasturants now though.

London Road is a filthy mess.

Yep thats right - the Cremorne is the new Menzels

London road will always have real character where eccy road has fake tan ;)

London road will always have real character where eccy road has fake tan ;)

That's quite a good sum up!

In terms of restaurants I much prefer london road. It is very much better value for money in many places as opposed to ecclesall road where you pay to be seen (in my opinion)

However as others have mentioned the pubs are horrid, the Cremorne is the best but still feet-stick-to-the-floor grim. Wouldn't go in any of the others especially not for a nice drink after a meal. Mojo (Dulo) is ok but haven't been in for ages.

I think you mean "... has been closed for ages"

London Road is terribly scruffy - it lets the restaurants down - could do with some investment by the council.

I think the chicken places are there for the football crowd. Pleased to see Mamoods close :)

London Road has some fabulous restaurants and i have tried quite a few of all cuisines. However a night out is spoilt if wanting to visit pubs first, the pubs are scruffy and dire. Its a shame cos i remember when London Road was great for a pub crawl.

Agree Pubs are dire down there.

Some investment maybe widening of the footpaths putting trees up ect could make a big difference.

Edited by Fudbeer

went out on ecclesall road in the week at the beginning of december. champs, botanical and pomona were empty bar a couple of people and the wetherspoons was packed..

it was the same as every other wetherspoons in the world i would assume..

i remember when pubs had individuality and character. does that make me old?

It's always been the 'customers' that have given english pubs their character, nothing to do with what's hanging on the walls. Pubcos became far too greedy and that's why Wetherspoons have made a killing, offering good products at decent prices. That's where the atmosphere is now, because that's where the people are. I went once to Menzels - never again -liked the entrance, but it's to pubs what Hollister is to clothes shops.

As other posters have said, London Road beats Ecclesall Road hands down for restaurants and has for a long time.

London Road has always had an amazing diverse range of restaurants tbh, and i'd prefer it to Eccy Road anytime, but I guess it is essentially down to personal preference.

Broomhill is the new Ecky Road, always a good night up there and the restaurants are getting better all the time.