Is london Road turning into the new Eccy road?

Hey guys

Since coming back from travelling, I've noticed that theres been alot of restaurants popping up on london road, theres loads. I've also noticed that its pushing onto abbeydale road too. Do you reakon in the future that restaurants will stretch from london road all the way up to abbeydale road? and secondly has any one eaten in these newly opened restaurants, like the new thai one half way on the corner or the african one? will it eventually take over eccy road for eating out?

Regards lscott

It has already overtaken it, in terms of the number and variety of eating places and also in terms of atmosphere. It is also aptly named, as it is probably the nearest thing to a vibrant area of London than any where else in Sheffield.

I wouldn't say it was taking over Eccy road at all - simply because they both have completely different vibes. The pubs down London Road aren't all that great and surely can't be giving those on Eccy road a run for their money. However, the restaurants down London road are much better than those found on Eccy road. There is a huge variety of cuisines; highlights of which include Wasabisabi, Yama Sushi, Noodle Inn, Dim Sum and Zeugma, although there are many others!!

but unlike most other areas with eating establishments and pubs, it sees more police presence due to the muggings and fights.

but unlike most other areas with eating establishments and pubs, it sees more police presence due to the muggings and fights.

Yeah, London road is still a bit rough around the edges!!

For food London Road has had the edge for a decade or more. Pubs-wise it's appalling though. Only the Cremone is any good.

I'm not a fan of the pubs on Eccy road but at least the people in them can be described as being human.

Eccy road just seems more upmarket, depends what atmosphere you're after I guess. Eccy road pubs and restaurants are almost always busier, and I find them to have a lot of the younger generation than on London road, with the exception of the Cremorne, and The Scholar, which have a lot of students.

do you think if someone took a risk, by opening a decent pub or bar, as close to town as poss, that everyone else would follow, I reckon if Bed night club had never burnt down a good few years ago, it would be a different story? How busy is the new weetherspoons, i've not been to it yet, but i don't class it as eccy road to be honest because its sat half way.

I drove down Abbeydale Road/London Road the week before Christmas and couldn't believe how much things have changed. Seems to be wall to wall Fried Chicken shops, Pizza Kebab takeaways, second hand shops, East European grocers, Asian Grocers, derelict businesses. Traffic pollution hanging in the air, what a dump!

do you think if someone took a risk, by opening a decent pub or bar, as close to town as poss, that everyone else would follow, I reckon if Bed night club had never burnt down a good few years ago, it would be a different story? How busy is the new weetherspoons, i've not been to it yet, but i don't class it as eccy road to be honest because its sat half way.

went out on ecclesall road in the week at the beginning of december. champs, botanical and pomona were empty bar a couple of people and the wetherspoons was packed..

it was the same as every other wetherspoons in the world i would assume..

i remember when pubs had individuality and character. does that make me old?

The only problem with having a nice bar down there is the football crowd. Would have to have some decent prices and strict door policies to keep them out.

Hey guys

Since coming back from travelling, I've noticed that theres been alot of restaurants popping up on london road, theres loads. I've also noticed that its pushing onto abbeydale road too. Do you reakon in the future that restaurants will stretch from london road all the way up to abbeydale road? and secondly has any one eaten in these newly opened restaurants, like the new thai one half way on the corner or the african one? will it eventually take over eccy road for eating out?

Regards lscott

In terms of restaurants I much prefer london road. It is very much better value for money in many places as opposed to ecclesall road where you pay to be seen (in my opinion)

However as others have mentioned the pubs are horrid, the Cremorne is the best but still feet-stick-to-the-floor grim. Wouldn't go in any of the others especially not for a nice drink after a meal. Mojo (Dulo) is ok but haven't been in for ages.