Bradford Woollen

My Father bought the old Bradford Woollen Warehouse on North Church street, think would be around 58/59 time.
Yes - the Don Cinema closed in March 1958 and Bradford Woollen moved there after the building had been converted.

Got measured for my first suit there can always remember the wrap over part above the fly fastening at the side of me. Weird trousers

It's a modern thing having a fastening above the zip, but in times past, yes it was further over to the left.

I seem to recall a so-called wholesale place at the bottom of the narrow alley on the right and next to the old Bradford Woollen, i've forgotten the name of the place, you didn't have to have an account to shop there, just cash.

I used to work at Bradford Woollen in the 60's & know a lot of people mentioned in this thread. The brothers were Denis & Eric & yes they did have personal number plates DS 1 & ES 1. I have some very happy memories of BW & am still in touch with one of the girls I used to work with we are both in our 60's now. The Swycher brothers were hard task masters to work for but I also found them fair & very profesional in their dealings. We always used to have a great christmas party which everyone used to look forward too. I also remember Mr. Hartley there was also a Mr. Ray Turner & a Mr Adam Mchattie who I believe died quite a young man. It was a great place to work actually & people seemed to be friends inside work & also outside work. My memories of working there are all good.

anyone remember caplins stanley st the wicker also at wicker s dewires

old fred hartley,s......used to work there in its heyday,with des smithson,mick barton,gary bamford and steve martin....a crook called roy goddard was manager,john day his assistant........mick savage,alan hadley,phil watson,big john derbyshire,red nosed eric,kay davis,blonde carol,margaret caddick,connie radford,karen henser,marie stanton,kev lawton......wonder what happened to em all???

the last time i saw most of the above was 1977....

I believe the Alan Hadley you mentioned is one of my uncles...

I'm sure he's mentioned working there in the past...

I knew a Mrs Barker who worked for them. She'd drive round in a Ford 5cwt van collecting payments off people. That was 1962.

Edited by mikeG

I used to work at Bradford Woollen in the 60's & know a lot of people mentioned in this thread. The brothers were Denis & Eric & yes they did have personal number plates DS 1 & ES 1. I have some very happy memories of BW & am still in touch with one of the girls I used to work with we are both in our 60's now. The Swycher brothers were hard task masters to work for but I also found them fair & very profesional in their dealings. We always used to have a great christmas party which everyone used to look forward too. I also remember Mr. Hartley there was also a Mr. Ray Turner & a Mr Adam Mchattie who I believe died quite a young man. It was a great place to work actually & people seemed to be friends inside work & also outside work. My memories of working there are all good.

David Goff worked in the menswear department circa 1964/65, he later went on to be Major (Mad) Mike Hoare's ADC during the war in the Belgium Congo.

:):)

old fred hartley,s......used to work there in its heyday,with des smithson,mick barton,gary bamford and steve martin....a crook called roy goddard was manager,john day his assistant........mick savage,alan hadley,phil watson,big john derbyshire,red nosed eric,kay davis,blonde carol,margaret caddick,connie radford,karen henser,marie stanton,kev lawton......wonder what happened to em all???

the last time i saw most of the above was 1977....

hi there im blonde carol that worked at fred hartleys,i remember all the names you have said.im on facebook so is mick savage and margaret caddick is too.i can send u the link.whats your name did u work there. x

i attended many of the christmas parties along with half of the Highway pub great times.

Mr Lindley, Mr Fothergill, Nan, Little Margaret and Christine in the office......