Bradford Woollen

Hi hillsbro again

Well researched! (I tried a few places for DOD but had no luck - although I did learn something about the interesting history of the Jewish community in Sheffield.) The DOB sounds plausible to me. Also I didn't think he was married (though I wouldn't have known for sure of course).

A good age - 88 - so I would imagine he enjoyed the best part of his retired years. Hope so anyway. Maybe they have nice motors 'up there' too .. though I like to think my Dad (as well as Sydney) will be just driving them - rather than cleaning them - this time ..

(I expect bullerboY will also be interested in your findings.)

Thanks again for helping to 'close a chapter' for me ...

I used to work at Bradford Woollen in the 60's & know a lot of people mentioned in this thread. The brothers were Denis & Eric & yes they did have personal number plates DS 1 & ES 1. I have some very happy memories of BW & am still in touch with one of the girls I used to work with we are both in our 60's now. The Swycher brothers were hard task masters to work for but I also found them fair & very profesional in their dealings. We always used to have a great christmas party which everyone used to look forward too. I also remember Mr. Hartley there was also a Mr. Ray Turner & a Mr Adam Mchattie who I believe died quite a young man. It was a great place to work actually & people seemed to be friends inside work & also outside work. My memories of working there are all good.

The brothers were Denis & Eric but you are incorrect regarding the number plates.

Denis had DS 3 on a white Aston Martin DB6 Volante and Eric had ES 9 on either a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow or a Bentley T series. One of their son's Laurence also had a personal number plate LS 8311 but I cannot remember what car he had.

Laurence wasn't even old enough to be driving in the era I was refering to. The time frame I refer to is about 1964 0r 5. So the cars etc I was thinking of were probably different at that time. You may be correct the numbers though I may have forgotten but I thought it was ES 1 & DS 1.

I remember my parents buying a suite from Bradford Woollen company, it was a grey moquette (spelling?) the cat loved it, she ripped it to shreds!!

I worked at Bradford Woollen Co in 1962/1965. I worked in the back office, with  Ann Horton ,Christine Flowers, Jennifer Arkham, Kathy Warhurst, Judy poplwell, Ann Robinson Sue Bowers, Delia Smith, Florence ? Our boss was Micheal Wright. Loads more names come to mind, could go on and on. My name was Sandra Byrne. Had some great times with the lasses there. 

Hi I am almost 74 now and we used to shop at Bradord Woolen when I was kid and into my teenage years.We lived in Dugdale Drive  Parson Cross. I would like to make contact with others who went to Yew lane Sec School. A lady who wrote she worked at Bradford wooden called Sandra Byrne is someone I think I might know from school

A bit of a bump on this thread having only recently found this forum and then the Bradford Woollen thread. In a posting on 9th September 2011, Curriechick mentioned that Diane stood in on reception while Curriechick went to lunch with Eric. I met Diane Beever at the Hoffenbrau Bierkeller in April 1975, she was by then the full time receptionist. I was introduced to blind Eric. Diane and I once went to his house for tea. I remember him being tall, had a strong handshake and a wicked sense of humour. I would very often pick Diane up from work, parking my car in the roof top car park. Diane left when Bradford Woollen closed in early 1977. She then went to work at Trent Health Authority at Fulwood. We were married at Stannington Church in 1978. She then moved to Nottingham where I came from. I think a good friend of Dianes, Anita Scothern  also worked there. Anita came to our wedding.  Diane also kept a daily diary which references her work and many people who worked at BW. We were married for 42 years, having one son. Tragically Diane died on 8th January this year. 

The first suit I ever owned came from there, must have been about 1954

On 16/03/2021 at 20:23, SteveandDi said:

A bit of a bump on this thread having only recently found this forum and then the Bradford Woollen thread. In a posting on 9th September 2011, Curriechick mentioned that Diane stood in on reception while Curriechick went to lunch with Eric. I met Diane Beever at the Hoffenbrau Bierkeller in April 1975, she was by then the full time receptionist. I was introduced to blind Eric. Diane and I once went to his house for tea. I remember him being tall, had a strong handshake and a wicked sense of humour. I would very often pick Diane up from work, parking my car in the roof top car park. Diane left when Bradford Woollen closed in early 1977. She then went to work at Trent Health Authority at Fulwood. We were married at Stannington Church in 1978. She then moved to Nottingham where I came from. I think a good friend of Dianes, Anita Scothern  also worked there. Anita came to our wedding.  Diane also kept a daily diary which references her work and many people who worked at BW. We were married for 42 years, having one son. Tragically Diane died on 8th January this year. 

My condolences Steve, very sad.  I left in 1972, I do remember a Diane, but maybe not your wife, not sure.  All the best.

Thank you for your condolences. It would not have been my Diane, she would still have been at school in 1972.  Other names mentioned in Diane's diary who you may have known are Alma, think she worked in the back offices, a Lorraine, Rob Adams and obviously I guess you knew  Mr McHattie and the bosses Eric and Dennis, who Diane always referred to as Mr E and Mr D.

Also for those who enquired earlier in the thread, according to Diane's diaries, the last day working at BW was Saturday 29th January 1977. Diane said that Mr D gave her a kiss and Mr E shook her hand and gave her a good reference. Later the following week she met up with other leavers at the Labour Exchange or what we now call the Job Centre.

Yes, I knew Mr Mchattie, I worked in the office, and of course Mr Dennis and Mr Eric.  Enjoying the memories.