Bradford Woollen

Anyone remember Bradford Woollen on West Bar? I think it closed down in the early 70's

Yes - the Bradford Woollen Co. was a wholesale firm that started out in the 1930s in Change Alley. They later moved to North Church Street, and when the Don cinema nearby closed they moved into the building, extended it and renamed it Progress House (it's now the Armadillo Storage Co.). Bradford Woollen is still listed in my 1973 Kelly's Directory but it can't have been much later than this that they went bust..:(

Remember it very well.My mum had an account with them,she would let us(me and elder brother)choose our own clothes as long as we did'nt spend too much,my brother said he was in need of a coat,mum told him to go and get something sensible.It was the late 60s,he came back with a scarlet military style jacket like the beatles were wearing in seargent pepper vein!!She went barmy!!!!He refused to return it!!He was'nt given a credit note again!!Big shop though,seem to recall it sold all sorts of stuff.Another store I remember'Fred Hartleys' think it was hillsborough,long time ago now!!Happy new year all.

Remember it very well.My mum had an account with them,she would let us(me and elder brother)choose our own clothes as long as we did'nt spend too much,my brother said he was in need of a coat,mum told him to go and get something sensible.It was the late 60s,he came back with a scarlet military style jacket like the beatles were wearing in seargent pepper vein!!She went barmy!!!!He refused to return it!!He was'nt given a credit note again!!Big shop though,seem to recall it sold all sorts of stuff.Another store I remember'Fred Hartleys' think it was hillsborough,long time ago now!!Happy new year all.

old fred hartley,s......used to work there in its heyday,with des smithson,mick barton,gary bamford and steve martin....a crook called roy goddard was manager,john day his assistant........mick savage,alan hadley,phil watson,big john derbyshire,red nosed eric,kay davis,blonde carol,margaret caddick,connie radford,karen henser,marie stanton,kev lawton......wonder what happened to em all???

the last time i saw most of the above was 1977....

Yes - Fred Hartley, Bradford Woollen and Weston Senior were all wholesale firms and/or discount warehouses where you could go if you had a card or account. Weston Senior were just round the corner from Bradford Woollen but I think they also went bust in the 1980s. Maybe they relied mainly on selling to small retailers, and the retail shops gradually closed as people started to shop at large outlets, retail parks etc. Here's a Fred Hartley thread.

Bradford Woollen was owned by 2 brothers I think, they had personalised numberplates (quite a rare sight then!) DS and ES (Don't remember the numbers)

Bradford Woollen was owned by 2 brothers I think, they had personalised numberplates (quite a rare sight then!) DS and ES (Don't remember the numbers)

i think the surname was Schwyzer

The brothers' surname was actually Swycher, so this would account for the 'S'. One brother might have been Dennis but can't remember clearly (I'm getting old....:()

Yes - Dennis was one of the brothers; I thought the other was Stephen but can't be sure. Dennis Swycher still lives at Whirlow.

Yes - Dennis was one of the brothers; I thought the other was Stephen but can't be sure. Dennis Swycher still lives at Whirlow.

Old days eh? By eck I remember that shop.....mum bought me a dolls gift set from there with the high chair, baby bouncer etc....I thought it was the bees knees! Must have cost a small fortune back in the 70's :)

Eric---- I'm sure it was Eric

My Father bought the old Bradford Woollen Warehouse on North Church street, think would be around 58/59 time.