Sign in to follow this  

Why do people STILL wear real fur?

The "cows rearing people" question is silly though, if we were as dumb as cows we would probably think nothing about it, if we wern't we would kill the cows and escape.

Originally posted by Yodameister

Can anyone answer the question why using an animal just for its fur is worse than using an animal just for its meat?

That’s simple. We don’t need animal fur to survive! There is no primary need for fur. The only reason people wear it is through trends in fashion (in the western world that is). We are omnivores, so we eat meat. The skin is a by-product and to use it is putting less of the animal to waste! That’s why I see no problem in leather.

Also fur can go out of fashion (the way it did back in the 80's and 90's)

I have a fur coat which I wear on the coldest days in the winter. Not sure which animal it came from but it's the warmest coat I've got, even warmer than the fake fur I've got.

I didn't buy the fur new, it was second hand and I don't know how old it is - although it's in lovely condition. I wouldn't buy one new because then the demand for furs continues and lines the pockets of those who ethically shouldn't have lined pockets from this industry.

Why do I have a real fur and a fake fur? The real one is a lovely colour and really, really warm and was an utter bargain. The fake again is a lovely colour, more of a fun fur and a different fabric to the leather coat I wear. I note that nobody has criticised leather coats. They're made from the dead skin of animals. I have two. One again for warmth and it doubles as a rain coat, the other is for protection when out on the trike. Natural materials are harder wearing, warmer, practical (especially if you're a biker) and more durable than man made.

Originally posted by serapis

That’s simple. We don’t need animal fur to survive! There is no primary need for fur. The only reason people wear it is through trends in fashion (in the western world that is). We are omnivores, so we eat meat. The skin is a by-product and to use it is putting less of the animal to waste! That’s why I see no problem in leather.

We don't need to eat meat or wear fur, however, I'm more than happy to do both. I don't see any difference between farming animals for meat and farming animals for fur. It's pure hypocracy for veggies to claim that they only wear leather because it's a by-product. I'm a none smoker.........apart from the ciggies...........

Women who wear fur, for reasons of vanity (and not need), strike me as having somewhat sacrificed their inner beauty and nobility, for how they look.

It's like, I'm going to look good, and I don't care what the cost is, I just want to flaunt it.

That's the impression I get.

Then again, I am no saint myself, so do I have any right to moralise about other people's behaviour ...