Carehome for my mother-in-law

I agree, the job is so poorly paid... I firmly believe you should be qualified in some field of care and have attended training courses etc to be a carer for the elderly.. after all, you wouldn't leave your kids in the hands of unqualified, untrained people who just need a minimum-wage earning job so why the elderly loved ones in your life? I dread the day I ever need to think about putting a relative of mine in a care home, it must be a very difficult decision. x Good Luck finding a suitable one, I hope it turns out well x

Also there is a difference between a Care Home and a Nursing Home.

Also there is a difference between a Care Home and a Nursing Home.[/quote

I think this is why our gaffer got away, it is a residential home which means the people that live there are meant to be able to mainly care for themselves, and get around unaided... but thats what made it all the more awful really because the families of these poor people know this and still put them there even though they should have been put into a care home.

There was one woman who could barely move herself and needed hands on help to get her to and from the bathroom ect... how cruel is this.... We were not allowed to help her in anyway to sit up in bed she had to do it herself, then when and if she could manage it, thats when we could put her on the hoist and get her to the bathroom, that lady needed to be in a care home, our gaffer needed the dosh to keep the place going, her son needed to put her in the cheapest place he could which meant she wasnt getting the care and attention she needed, it was a truly horrible experience watching people suffer as there were more residents that needed propper care or residents that needed rehab than there were residents that should have been there..infact when i think of it like that, i only recall there being 1 resident who seemed to fit the bill...funnily enough his name was Bill.

Also there is a difference between a Care Home and a Nursing Home.[/quote

I think this is why our gaffer got away, it is a residential home which means the people that live there are meant to be able to mainly care for themselves, and get around unaided... but thats what made it all the more awful really because the families of these poor people know this and still put them there even though they should have been put into a care home.

There was one woman who could barely move herself and needed hands on help to get her to and from the bathroom ect... how cruel is this.... We were not allowed to help her in anyway to sit up in bed she had to do it herself, then when and if she could manage it, thats when we could put her on the hoist and get her to the bathroom, that lady needed to be in a care home, our gaffer needed the dosh to keep the place going, her son needed to put her in the cheapest place he could which meant she wasnt getting the care and attention she needed, it was a truly horrible experience watching people suffer as there were more residents that needed propper care or residents that needed rehab than there were residents that should have been there..infact when i think of it like that, i only recall there being 1 resident who seemed to fit the bill...funnily enough his name was Bill.

Your story tells that of greed an that in some peoples lives money is more important than family. Truely disgusting I am sorry you had to work there. Those images will never leave you and there was nothing you could have done.

Also there is a difference between a Care Home and a Nursing Home.

It depends what they are registered for.. you can have a care home which is registered to provide nursing care. different names for different care. ie care/ nursing/ residential. residential may not have qualified nurses but that doesn't mean that " service users " are left to struggle, all moving and handling equipment can be used. yes maybe patricia worked in a bad work place but that doesn't mean they are all the same. you need to look at all places in your area maybe more if you have transport, like others have said, call at different times.. the bigger places won't have time to tidy even if you do make an appointment. same as eveywhere you look some people care about the job and some people don't. also carers are made to do training nowa days, i know the training is'nt much but at least its there.

Your story tells that of greed an that in some peoples lives money is more important than family. Truely disgusting I am sorry you had to work there. Those images will never leave you and there was nothing you could have done.

Well in alot of cases, the families cant afford to put them into the homes they should be in, the more care they need, the more expensive the bill and not everyone can afford it, if the residents have no house to sell for example, then their pension isnt going to cover the costs, i felt quite sorry for residents and family alike in these cases, but unfortunatly in some cases you are right, the families just want them looked after in the cheapest place and if that means them suffering then they will be blind to it and save their cash. Its a horrible feeling to watch someone suffering who is so frail that you could probably pick them up and carry them twice round the building one handed, but not be allowed by rules and regs, to help them. It was my first and last care job, but has left me very very aware that age is a cruel process anyway, we should do all we can to ensure our loved ones are get the best possible, glossy brochures are no evidence. at least the carers in my home had the residents best interests at heart (as far as i saw) Alot of the residents wore clothes supplied by the carers.. not by the families, so sad x

Holmwood gets an excellent report from the Quality Inspection team, is highly thought of by local GPs and seemed fine when I went round it, but it is a nursing home and some of the residents are clearly very ill. If your mother in law does not need that level of care, then I would recommend Norton Lees Hall on Warminster Road. The manager there is brilliant and, in my experience, all the staff are kind and caring. They don't use agency staff so my relative is always looked after by someone she knows. I can only repeat what others have said, go and look at the homes and visit a few times before making a decision.

My Dad is in Newfield nursing home. I have nothing but praise for the care he has been given. He is settled, very well cared for and very happy. I have always found the team very helpful and very friendly.

It depends on the level of care you are looking for. It's down to personal opinion. I would go round lots of places. You will know when you get the right one. It's also important to give your mum a choice too. Get a short list and take her round.

Good luck.

My grandma and grandad were in one about 200 yards past Newfield Green Medical Centre on the left, heading into town (can't remember the name sorry, but it's at the top of 'Cat Lane').

That was a really nice, secure place. But as has previously been said here, it's worth looking round the kitchen and things...

when chosing any home dont ring up just turn up this way u will get a true feel of the place if they want you to make an appointment then you need to ask yourself why ?

Woodland View at norton sheffield 8 are worth taking a look at (Nhs) Its divided up into 4 cottages 15 people on each cottage also Qualified staff nurses on each cottage very clean and friendly

haythorne place nursing home, im a carer there,as everybody said dont ring up make a suprise visit, we have had families come in at the most akward times like right in middle of lunch, but you then do get a true account of what its like