Carehome for my mother-in-law

Anyone got a personal review of Homewood carehome on Warminster road thinking of putting my mother-in-law in. Thanks.

I don't know about Homewood but can really recommend Twelvetrees on Priory Rd Nether Edge - my mother has been there over 2 years

i personally would not use it, i have worked there a number of years on agency and have had concerns but that was around 5 yrs ago so it may have changed,

if you want to pm me i can point out what to look for

i personally would not use it, i have worked there a number of years on agency and have had concerns but that was around 5 yrs ago so it may have changed,

if you want to pm me i can point out what to look for

Take this persons offer up of advice. Some care homes have beautiful curtains and furnishings, but you need to take a look around the kitchen and bedrooms as well.

dont ring up to make an appointment, just go and have a look around

hi i am a private self employed carer i do have space if you interested in me caring for your mum

Anyone got a personal review of Homewood carehome on Warminster road thinking of putting my mother-in-law in. Thanks.

Have you also looked on the CQC website, they will have all the most recent reports for registered care homes, which will give you an idea of how good the place is.

I would post asking everyones opinions for different ones, I would also take the advice of the person offering to talk to you about it, because they know how the staff are behind doors and know the in's and outs and thats what really matters.

I agree also just turn up and look around, don't give them time to spruce the place up or whatever for an appointment, if they've got nothing to hide they won't mind an unarranged visit.

I know these are not in question but it does pay to do a lot of research. Newfield on Cat Lane look lovely on the outside and during the week are very good, but come the weekend when there is no management about the place collapses into chaos. My Nanna was left in a urine soaked bed untill myself andmy partner went to see her and when we got there the nurse gave me her meds to give to her. After complaining we were told that the issue had been dealt with internally but a few weeks later the same hapened again! She fell ill and died in hospital at the age of 90 whilst we were in the process of moving her.

What I am trying to say is "dont judge a book by the cover"

This place is not very good as the sign says care home and there is not much caring happening !!!

I know these are not in question but it does pay to do a lot of research. Newfield on Cat Lane look lovely on the outside and during the week are very good, but come the weekend when there is no management about the place collapses into chaos. My Nanna was left in a urine soaked bed untill myself andmy partner went to see her and when we got there the nurse gave me her meds to give to her. After complaining we were told that the issue had been dealt with internally but a few weeks later the same hapened again! She fell ill and died in hospital at the age of 90 whilst we were in the process of moving her.

What I am trying to say is "dont judge a book by the cover"

This place is not very good as the sign says care home and there is not much caring happening !!!

I have heard bad things from there aswell !

Where ever you decide to choose in the end, i would recommend that you refrain visiting at set times that the staff will easily pick up on. My nan was in Brookview in Dronfield and we used to turn up at all different times and different days so the staff never knew we were comming and we never found a thing to complain about where her care was concerned.

Unfortunatly as important as it is to treat the elderly like they are humans, the job is so poorly paid it does attract people who dont genuinly care for them, they just need a job, in the event that the service user becomes ill with something like dementia, then there is a chance that they could be being abused and unable to tell anyone...because they cant remember it, its awful. We basically trust these people because it is normal too, but I would advise that the nicest looking of places can employ the evilest of people, dont let them know your routine, then your family memebr is less likely to become victim.

Incidentally I worked at the most uglyest and run down of places where the enviroment was always really nice, i never saw anything that alarmed me...so you just cant judge a book by its cover.

Hope all goes well and you find the right one.

That is nothing alarmed me as far as staff were concerned...homeing the elderly with alcis and mental health patients...that did.. so enquire about that too, ours needed to fill the rooms, I think the manager would have rented rooms as bail hostels is she could have so make sure your home, is for the elderly only, because some of my elderly would barricade themselves in at night for fear of these alcis in the rooms nxt door.