Sheffield Star gets another price hike..

One of the lads at work picks that days issue up on his way to work at 7.00am, thought it was supposed to be an evening paper.

They are printed overnight - they are delivered to us around 4.30 a.m with the rest of the morning papers.

Do they still get all of their news from this forum?

If so, here is a ready made headline for Monday: "Local Paper Prices Itself Out Of Market"

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

The price increase will make no difference to readership figures. Every single regional newspaper in the country has seen a big drop in sales (at a slightly higher rate than the national papers).

I think the last I heard the Sheffield Star average daily sales was around 42,000 copies a day. That is way down on past years, but that still equates to about 1/12th of the population of Sheffield buying a copy each day.

The quality of the Star isn't the best, but there has been that many job cuts it is hardly surprising.

Like most newspapers, it is fighting a losing battle. Regional papers in particular have it tough. The majority of readers are elderly - and as mean as it sounds, for every old lady or gentleman that dies - there is nobody to take their place.

Be sad when it's gone, it is valuable in terms of footfall for shops like mine, and a lifeline for the elderly (who don't necessarily have access to laptop's, I phone's etc). For many of my elderly customers, it is a reason for them to come out daily, and the only opportunity to have a chat and have regular contact with the outside world.

And the old people only buy it for the obituaries.

And the old people only buy it for the obituaries.

Hatched,matched & dispatched :hihi:

Do they still get all of their news from this forum?

If so, here is a ready made headline for Monday: "Local Paper Prices Itself Out Of Market"

Maybe they could have a photograph of some glum looking child and rough Mum to accompany the story.

Quite frankly with what they put in the Star I think it would now be better to have it as a weekly newspaper rather than a daily one.

On the Isle of Wight we have a weekly paper which costs 70p and all the "news" from that week is covered, including court reports, jobs and housing plus the hatches, matches and despatches!

Plus, like the Star, if you want "up to date" news it is on the internet, but I really do think that the Star would be better now as a weekly rag rather than a daily one and especially as it is going to cost 47p per day - I am sure that if they were to make it a weekly paper and charge a reasonable amount then they might even find that sales would increase.

Wow a 2p rise. Considering the raise in vat and everything going up due to petrol hikes etc one wonders if the owners will have to cancell their day trip to skeggy

I will stay with the daily star a proper newspaper.

Although there has been an increase in price I will still buy it. Its the only paper my puppy will wee on he dont like the sun.

But seriously local news must be in decline cos even our free newspaper the Eckington Leader and the Gazette (cant remember the last time that was dlivered) have got really thin and there really is no point printing them anymore.

Heads up folks, your 'favourite' :hihi: local newspaper has revised it's cover price again and from Monday you will be able to purchase your paper full of bad spelling and no jobs for the princely sum of 47p.

So will you still buy it? (if you ever did).

Wow! I haven't lived in Sheff for 10 yrs. and I think it was 26p in '99 so that's quite some inflation in 10 yrs.