Sheffield Star gets another price hike..

One of the lads at work picks that days issue up on his way to work at 7.00am, thought it was supposed to be an evening paper.

Seems it's a morning paper now. I miss the " STAR! late night final!" shouts from the paper sellers. :hihi:

The journalists are furious that when their articles go to print spelling mistakes appear.

Quite frankly with what they put in the Star I think it would now be better to have it as a weekly newspaper rather than a daily one.

On the Isle of Wight we have a weekly paper which costs 70p and all the "news" from that week is covered, including court reports, jobs and housing plus the hatches, matches and despatches!

Plus, like the Star, if you want "up to date" news it is on the internet, but I really do think that the Star would be better now as a weekly rag rather than a daily one and especially as it is going to cost 47p per day - I am sure that if they were to make it a weekly paper and charge a reasonable amount then they might even find that sales would increase.

I think that is a great idea. I would buy it if it was a weekly paper

Maybe some page 3 girls and some page 5 fellas might help oh and pictures of the odd staffie for certain residents.

I will stay with the daily star a proper newspaper.

I remember when i delivered newspapers in the later thirties ,the stop press of the Star had the results of the first 2 or 3 races and the half time footbal scores

47p. is ludicrous for- at most- 2 pages of news that's already either outdated or ridiculously banal. I've reduced my patronage to one day a week.

The evening edition is publishedin morning-must be clairvoyants;I notice they dont show racing results!

As said since they made the newspaper a morning one, the news is no longer up to date

True. The original scheme cleverly involved adding one word a time to the front-page heading edition label. In sequence, they were:

City [= lunchtime]

City Late [= early afternoon]

City Late Night [= late afternoon]

City Late Night Final [= early evening]

Seems it's a morning paper now. I miss the " STAR! late night final!" shouts from the paper sellers. :hihi:

The journalists are furious that when their articles go to print spelling mistakes appear.

I keep offering my services to them, as proofreader, but they seem to prefer to put the paper out with shabby spelling errors that a nursery-school child would get annoyed at.

I'm fast losing faith with it, and am seriously considering stopping buying it, as I do feel that it's simply not worth the money. I used to like the fact that it was local news. That was why I supported it. But not for much longer...

True. The original scheme cleverly involved adding one word a time to the front-page heading edition label. In sequence, they were:

City [= lunchtime]

City Late [= early afternoon]

City Late Night [= late afternoon]

City Late Night Final [= early evening]

and don't forget that they also put out Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster editions, as well as the city/late/night/ finals.

Doesn't matter how much they charge as regional newspapers are dying and the nationals are not far behind.

Quite frankly with what they put in the Star I think it would now be better to have it as a weekly newspaper rather than a daily one.

On the Isle of Wight we have a weekly paper which costs 70p and all the "news" from that week is covered, including court reports, jobs and housing plus the hatches, matches and despatches!

Plus, like the Star, if you want "up to date" news it is on the internet, but I really do think that the Star would be better now as a weekly rag rather than a daily one and especially as it is going to cost 47p per day - I am sure that if they were to make it a weekly paper and charge a reasonable amount then they might even find that sales would increase.

Try the Sheffield Telegraph which is weekly at 85p