Going skiing - Any tips for Val d`Isere

Off to Val Disere for a weeks skiing soon, anyone any tips, recomendations, places to avoid? Anything really.

Cheers

:)

Val d'Isere has excellent runs, never get bored of them.

Main problem is the price - I know most French Alp resorts are expensive, but Val d'Isere seems to be even worse.

If you're self catering, buy as much as you can in the lower towns etc, if you drink alcohol; stock up in hypermarkets and drink plenty before you go out.

There are loads of good bars, some good restaurants and lots of posh people looking down their noses at you if you're not wearing Gucci ski-gear!

All in all, probably one of the best resorts I've been to in Europe.

Have fun you lucky thing!!

I have heard bad things about the price of everything, going to take 20 cans of strongbow with me as don't drink beer. I don't blan on doing much drinking, I can do that in Sheffield!

Like the above. Take plenty of money with you.

It's a nice resort, but budget twenty quid for a cheap lunch!

You can get across to tignes easily where it's a bit cheaper but don't miss the last lift back up as a taxi will cost loads.

Take lots of money with you

Don't go down "Face" when it's icy unless you are a good skier.

Take your credit card with you.

Brilliant skiing

The Moris Pub is a good place to go

Did anyone mention it is quite expensive?

Wear a hat - it'll be cold!

A helmet would be safer

A helmet would be safer

Definitely, I've concussed myself several times and now always wear a helmet. It's very easy to give yourself a whack on the head and whilst a helmet isn't cool, not cool is better than dead.

I have heard bad things about the price of everything, going to take 20 cans of strongbow with me as don't drink beer. I don't blan on doing much drinking, I can do that in Sheffield!

Seriously? That's half your luggage allowance as cheap cider... Why not buy spirits in duty free, mixers are cheap enough to buy in resort and duty free doesn't count against your luggage allowance.

Just an update.

Skiing there is brilliant, loads of runs, no waiting, very well organised lifts, gondolas and a funival train thing. Buses run the length of the resort every 5 mins and are free. It's not very good for beginners though, the green runs are pretty tricky for green runs and to get to the tranquil green run area for a beginner you need to go down some pretty big slopes.

Food, 12-18 Euros for a pizza / pasta burger. Steak, lamb, fish type meals 20 or more.

Beer, 5-8 euros. They had some cider but it was even more expensive so I got away with my sneaky strongbows!

We stayed in La Daille which is five mins on the free bus to the main skiing area but next to the Furnival, the accommodation was basic to say the least! We even had a list of cleaning duties to be completed before we left as they obviously don't use cleaners and reception was only open for a couple of hours a day.

Overall it was great, it was not the expensive horror story that everyone made out. Don't get me wrong, you could easily spend a fortune but if you are on a budget you don't need to starve. If you do go and you are on a budget then eat in the bar opposite Le Daille, food was great and cheaper than all the places right in the centre.

Final note, looking at all the casualties, get good insurance!

Glad you had a good time neeeeek.

Still sounds well outside my budget but hey, we're in sheffield, we've got the Ski Village! Mind you only been there twice and fell over so many times on the beginners slope decided skiing probably not for me :D