How do I start writing a book.. A little advice

I've written various chapters for various books, all waffle, but i'd say fairly interesting.

However recently i've really been trying to get myself to sit down and do something for a current project and I just can't do it. I've made sets and characters, very basic plots, but when trying to do the main fill, it's all to prescriptive!

So, I can waffle, but when it comes to doing it from planning, hmmm... :huh:

My dwarf flies around in a custom painted metallic red wheelchair that's armed with thermonuclear bruschetta heat seeking bread missiles! ... He's on a mission! :hihi:

Once upon a time ----- ?
I just read this whole thing to make sure no one had put my comment already...2nd to last and u have..well done u:hihi:

how many posts do i have to reply to before i can ask the question iv joined to ask?????

I believe that although the OP may find their life interesting, other people may not. Dont worry about spelling or grammar, do it for pure enjoyment,tell it how it is, and it could work out an interesting story.

Loads of 'useful' answers here, but I find three things are really critically important:

1. Having a strong story.

2. Having strong and memorable characters

3. Before you write a word, make sure you have planned your story out in great detail, chapter by chapter, so you know exactly where you are going with it.

I really want to write a book but I don't know where to start... My life has been so fruitful in my short years, but so has my mums, My dad was an Italian criminal so his life was fruitful too.. My grandad had connections with some pretty big and famous London gansters plus lived on an alies and got married twice and had a secret son... Where and who do I start with... Do i do it in volumes perhaps... As a diary... I'm not sure... I really want to log all this down... And give people a taste of being a young girl in a world of lies and criminality.. And what it's led me to personally... I'm just stuck on who to begin with.. Do I start as of now or back in the day..... Some guidance...? Person by person...

Sounds really interesting!!!

Here's one suggestion:

1. You could start off at the present day, writing in first person (you as the narrator). Write about yourself & what's happening right now.

2. Then something happens that starts you thinking about your Dad & Grandad. Write a bit about them to introduce them.

3. Then take the readers back in time to your Grandad's adventures.

3. Come back to the present day and continue from where you left off.

4. Go back in time again to your Dad's adventures

5. Come back to the present day again and maybe write about what you hope is going to happen next.

Hope that helps a bit :D

in years to come you can write about your part in the war on leeds

Aw, I was going to say that!:hihi:

And you were going to add an apostrophe somewhere as well if it's advice you are offering!

Are you wanting to write it from your perspective or your grandfather's? If I were to read the book would I be reading from your point of view?

Has this thread been redirected? I base that on the amount of banter and new names in the group, or have I just stepped into a time warp? :confused:

Has this thread been redirected? I base that on the amount of banter and new names in the group, or have I just stepped into a time warp? :confused:

Drat! He's found the secret section where we all hang out...

Only joking, it was a redirected thread Mick. :)

Loads of 'useful' answers here, but I find three things are really critically important:

1. Having a strong story.

2. Having strong and memorable characters

3. Before you write a word, make sure you have planned your story out in great detail, chapter by chapter, so you know exactly where you are going with it.

This seems sound advice to me. I'm editing my first attempt at writing a book and although I can't vouch that it ticks boxes 1 and 2... I did plan the whole thing thoroughly first. Then I broke it down into sections and those sections eventually became chapters.

Perhaps have a go at writing your opening chapter and test out your author's 'voice'. If it doesn't feel right then change between, first person, third person, diary entry... etc until you feel comfortable. If it's meant to be it will just begin to flow from your head to the page/ screen.

G