How do I start writing a book.. A little advice

You would need to choose a name to write under, maybe Phil ?

I really want to write a book but I don't know where to start... My life has been so fruitful in my short years, but so has my mums, My dad was an Italian criminal so his life was fruitful too.. My grandad had connections with some pretty big and famous London gansters plus lived on an alies and got married twice and had a secret son... Where and who do I start with... Do i do it in volumes perhaps... As a diary... I'm not sure... I really want to log all this down... And give people a taste of being a young girl in a world of lies and criminality.. And what it's led me to personally... I'm just stuck on who to begin with.. Do I start as of now or back in the day..... Some guidance...? Person by person...

Try asking in the Sheffield Writers Group

I really want to write a book but I don't know where to start... My life has been so fruitful in my short years, but so has my mums, My dad was an Italian criminal so his life was fruitful too.. My grandad had connections with some pretty big and famous London gansters plus lived on an alies and got married twice and had a secret son... Where and who do I start with... Do i do it in volumes perhaps... As a diary... I'm not sure... I really want to log all this down... And give people a taste of being a young girl in a world of lies and criminality.. And what it's led me to personally... I'm just stuck on who to begin with.. Do I start as of now or back in the day..... Some guidance...? Person by person...

You could join a Writes Of Passage Club.

Writing a book is very easy. You start at the beginning, work your way to the middle and then carry on until the end. When you come to the end, stop.

It works for me every time.

learn to spell first... its ADVICE :hihi:

Aw, I was going to say that!:hihi:

You need an idea, then you need to flesh it out, create a beat sheet with the main points going through the narrative. Here you will find out what parts you have missing, then write a treatment (1-10 page story from 3rd person) and ask people to read it and comment. Then all you need is time and commitment.

Many books i've read on writing suggest starting in the middle of something.

Sometimes they start off with chapter 1, but then make that chapter -1.

It could be a story in which history is in the making, or it could a story about the discovery of the past.

I think its a great idea, not purely as a commercial project either.Some years ago, after my father retired and obviously had time on his hands, he recorded some stories and events from his life on audio cassette. He gave copies to my brothers and me at the time and mine got put in a drawer, unopened and unheard. About 6 months after his death, I was rummaging in the drawer, came across one of them (the other one sadly lost forever) and decided to give it a listen. I cant describe the emotions that went through me listening to them and to things about him and his life that I never knew before.

I started writing a book, my autobiography, only actually done a couple of very rough first chapters tho

a trip through the underbelly of the mid 80s - on drug, punk, hippy, dance scenes of sheffield and surrounding areas.

sex, drugs, rock n roll and death, violence, pubs, clubs and gigs etc etc

i decided to theme my chapters so i could get it all into one place in my head

I've been writing a book for ages now. I don't even know what it's about! Got about 1000 pages of waffle so far! It seems to focus around a dwarf in Abergavenny (Wales) and his trials and tribulations. Made loads of notes so my next step is to make some sort of story out of it.

There's no beginning and no end yet.

the good thing is there's absolutely no research involved whatsoever!

I've been writing a book for ages now. I don't even know what it's about! Got about 1000 pages of waffle so far! It seems to focus around a dwarf in Abergavenny (Wales) and his trials and tribulations. Made loads of notes so my next step is to make some sort of story out of it.

There's no beginning and no end yet.

the good thing is there's absolutely no research involved whatsoever!

I've written various chapters for various books, all waffle, but i'd say fairly interesting.

However recently i've really been trying to get myself to sit down and do something for a current project and I just can't do it. I've made sets and characters, very basic plots, but when trying to do the main fill, it's all to prescriptive!

So, I can waffle, but when it comes to doing it from planning, hmmm... :huh:

someone said the best way to start a book is to start it. sounds a bit glib, but you can't fault it.