Should First pay for this wall?

They will pay if she takes them to court. The law appears to be quite clear that as an insurer they are liable (they effectively insure themselves).

A few pics taken that morning allthough unfortunately you cant really see the wall due to the snow...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57958350@N04/5329372539/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/metroreef/Snow%202010/100_3377-800.jpg

Closer image on the impact point. I agree that First should pay for the repair. The vehicle should have been secured before leaving it. As I understand the braking system of a bus, told to me a long time ago by a driver. The handbrake works in reverse of the footbrake. ie no air - handbrake on, hence the air-dump when the handbrake is applied. So emptying the air tanks when leaving the bus should have been sufficient to stop the bus from rolling, even if the controls were released.

That said, living in the village I've seen the damage it caused on impact and to be honest, it's minimal at best. It's dislodged a section of bricks between to pillars. 50 quid would probably see it right. It's a fairly thick wall and given the probable slow impact speed, I'd say the bus bore the brunt of the impact.

First shouldn't pay! It wasn't their fault. Won't the ladies home insurance cover it??

First should be happy to pay up and think they had got away with it lucky,if a child had been walking there and been hit by the a bus that obviosly was,nt secure when yobs could set it in motion and it should have been moved earlier,not like the usual 2 or 3 hours before first remove a broken down bus