Is there a demand for regular casual work??

Just a bit of feedback/advice wanted really......

I'm about to embark on setting up in business and looking at premises. The biggest concern I have is becoming an employer!

As a mum of 2 small children I know it would be an impossibility to run the business single handed. Therefore it's essential I take on a couple of staff.

I would ideally like to employ someone initially Tues-Fri 3pm till 5.30pm and all day Saturday (with a possibility of Sunday also).

My question is, do you think these hours will attract many candidates???

Any help/advice would be much appreciated on this subject as this is THE biggest concern I have. I'm confident with other aspects of the business, but really need some reassurance that I will find people willing to do these hours before I go any further with my new venture.

Many thanks.

Thanks for that. I'll bear that in mind.

....One other thing I forgot to mention is I would need extra staff (or existing staff to work extra hours) through school holidays.

Do you think I would have a problem recruiting staff to cover school hols?

Depends what the job is and the hourly rate you are prepared to pay to attract the right candidates.

Good luck with the venture.

PS; my sister in law got Pandora size finger print jewellery of her two children for Xmas and she loves them!

As long as you can afford them, you will have no problem getting staff in this econoimic climate to work weekends, etc.

As long as you can afford them, you will have no problem getting staff in this econoimic climate to work weekends, etc.

I agree that you will have no problem finding staff for these hours the problem is getting the right staff, ones that you can trust and are reliable and more importantly have common sense. It is hard to know if they have these qualities at interview so if possible get someone you already know.

Also don't forget that they will be entitled to paid holidays so you will need further cover for when they are on holiday or ill.

Well i'd say you want those qualities in every member of staff, regardless, but you will need to sift the wheat from the chaff as you will get all and sundry applying if you advertise the jobs. Why not trawl this forum - there are 1 or 2 people desperate for jobs!

And if you get them through a friend or relative, tell them the usual working and disciplinary rules still apply! I find they sometimes expect extra liberties having been already acqauinted with you, or because they are best mates with your brother's wife. Can be awkward in some situations.

....One other thing I forgot to mention is I would need extra staff (or existing staff to work extra hours) through school holidays.

If you were to pay cash in hand for these hours , i think you should be able to attract people quite easily .

For only a few hours here and there on a as and when basis , if its all through the books on an offical footing , i doubt many people are going to apply .

There are unemployed wanna be workers out there who are spending their savings not claiming who would appreciate some money coming in and some work to do.

For the irregular stuff I'd look into the idea of taking on staff through an agency. Certain types of work (including office work, driving, supply teaching etc) have got a long history of odd days here and there as needed and the demand is met by a supply of staff who are paid through the agency so you would only be paying one set of bills, rather than trying to treat each irregular staff member as a regular staff member with pay slips and individual NI calculations etc.

For the irregular stuff I'd look into the idea of taking on staff through an agency. Certain types of work (including office work, driving, supply teaching etc) have got a long history of odd days here and there as needed and the demand is met by a supply of staff who are paid through the agency so you would only be paying one set of bills, rather than trying to treat each irregular staff member as a regular staff member with pay slips and individual NI calculations etc.

It also solves the issue of holiday/sick pay and any other employment law that becomes relevant. It's probably the least hastle way to do it.

There would always be students wanting work through the school holidays.