Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone help, PGCE Sheffield Hallam.

Hi there, I have applied to do a PGCE Early years Course (3-7) at Sheffield Hallam University and although I know the course is full time, I would like to hear from someone who is doing the course, or has completed it, to find out exactly how much time is spent in Uni and how much time is spent out of hours. Id like to know, as I am considering getting a dog in January, 9 months before the course starts, but im thinking carefully about it, well in advance.

Thanks for any help. Lisa

I did the secondary course, but I imagine the pattern is much the same...

If I were you I wouldn't commit to any extra responsibilities, cos although most of the time you'll be doing school hours there is a LOT more work (lesson planning, marking, assignments etc.) and you'll be really tired in the evenings too - when I was on TP I used to fall asleep over my marking in front of the 6-o-clock news most evenings! Plus a lot of the lectures are in the evenings.

That said it was a great experience! Good luck :D

Well, this is the thing, as long as I can come home at lunch time and can spend the rest of my time studying at home, it should be fine. As the dog I am looking at is very much a homely dog, which needs company in the evenings rather than hours of walking. The Uni is five mins down the road from my house.

Thanks for any help, Lise

That'd work fine those few weeks you're in Uni but that's only about 3 weeks at the start of each semester. The rest of the time is school placement, and chances are slim to none that you'll be placed near home - one of my schools was in Rotherham and some of my sheffield-based colleagues ended up in Lincoln. I think someone even went to Grimsby!