Sign in to follow this  

Help with excel needed

Hi,

I'm trying to do my tax return using an excel spreadsheet ....

I want to create a list for expense catagories that match up with the catagories on the tax return.

Struggling badly I am with this.

If any kind soul would like to give me a few pointers, please respond to this or PM me.

Thanks very much.

Jamie.

Er, type them in?

I think what he means is something that will pick up a code of his own in and match it up to one of the "standard expense categories".

What you'd need to use for that is the VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP) function.

Should be able to find the info you need in Help.

You can create a drop down list like this:

1. Using Sheet 2 of your workbook, type in a list of all the expense categories cell by cell (i.e. if there are 10 categories use A1 through to A10).

2. Then, select all of the cells you have used. Just above cell A1, there is a Name box, which will show the reference for the first cell in the range you have selected (i.e. A1 in this example). Next to this, there is a little downfacing arrow. Click the downfacing arrow and type in a Name for the list. e.g. Expense Categories. Press Enter

3. Now go to Sheet 1 and select the cell you want your list to be in. Go to the Data menu and select Validation.

4. A box will appear. Go to the Settings Tab and in the 'Allow' box select List. Once you do this, a further box should appear underneath labelled Source. In this box, type =(Name), where (Name) is the name you gave your list in Step 2. Don't forget the = or it won't know it's supposed to refer to the list in Sheet 2.

5. If you want to get really flash, you can put Input Messages on it, which will tell you what the list is when you select the cell (second tab), or create an Error Alert which will tell you if you enter invalid data (i.e. something that isn't on the list). This may be helpful if other people will use the spreadsheet.

6. If you don't want to get flash, click OK after step 4. The cell will now have a downfacing arrow when you select it. This is your list.

Remember that you can still type directly in to the field as long as the data is on the list that you created. If it isn't you will get an error.

Hope this helps, PM me if it's gibberish.

Yep, that's what I've been trying to do limpetboy, but had a few problems with it.

Will try your suggestion, step by step.

Thanks for the help :)

Originally posted by Jamie

Yep, that's what I've been trying to do limpetboy, but had a few problems with it.

Will try your suggestion, step by step.

Thanks for the help :)

Not a problem. Be happy to take a look if it still won't have it - let me know and I'll PM you my email address.

Right, followed all those steps, and it works!!!

Thanks a million dude.

:)