New Years Hobby

Brew your own booze. Works for me.

I bought this book last year, a very interesting read. It's on my list!

The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible

Also bought various other country and home crafts books including cheese making.

It's surprising what you could do at home and progress on to make a business out of, just look at these guys...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=695096

I can confirm that some folk in Sheffield run bootleg stills and make damned tasty booze ... There's no Duke of Hazard antics just darned smooth liquer.

I can confirm that some folk in Sheffield run bootleg stills and make damned tasty booze ... There's no Duke of Hazard antics just darned smooth liquer.

I've not got my cider book here, but you can produce and sell something like 10,000 litres of it without having to pay tax at all. Good olde English law!

I want to make something but I don't know what?

How about making custom knives??, you don't need too many tools and can buy blade blanks/ wood/ antler/ horn etc online..

Here's a link to British Blades, the British home of custom knife making, there are tutorials and tips which will make it much easier than with starting without any help at all:cool:

Have a look at the members projects section on there- there's some gorgeous stuff:love:

You can also sell them for good prices on there so that you can fund the hobby and buy in a stock of matierials :thumbsup:

John:)

underwater blow football

If you want to do that, you'd better start before 2012.

I understand the fees for that course are being increased to £9000 pa wef Sep 2012.

How about making custom knives??, you don't need too many tools and can buy blade blanks/ wood/ antler/ horn etc online..

Here's a link to British Blades, the British home of custom knife making, there are tutorials and tips which will make it much easier than with starting without any help at all:cool:

Have a look at the members projects section on there- there's some gorgeous stuff:love:

You can also sell them for good prices on there so that you can fund the hobby and buy in a stock of matierials :thumbsup:

John:)

I'm liking it John, I may even make a trip down to Kelham Island and do the tour again, the kids will love that beam engine!

I was looking at pen making in the hobby section of the ScrewFix catelogue the other week, but...

But back to knives, made in Sheffield is always a bonus, because that's what i'm looking for, something I can do as a hobby and take it further, say into a business.

I'm liking it John, I may even make a trip down to Kelham Island and do the tour again, the kids will love that beam engine!

I was looking at pen making in the hobby section of the ScrewFix catelogue the other week, but...

But back to knives, made in Sheffield is always a bonus, because that's what i'm looking for, something I can do as a hobby and take it further, say into a business.

There are plenty of makers who are just that- they are cutlers for a living and don't have another job (they're all skint tho':hihi: )

The tools needed are basic and can be all hand tools if required though power tools do help a load!!

Pre ground and hardened blade blanks can be cheap if you don't go for Damascus or the fancy laminated blades, it also helps if you're handy with leathercraft to make the sheaths to complete the combo;)

Handle blocks/scales are fairly easy to come by as is antler/horn etc and brass or stainless ally rod can be acquired from B&Q for the pins and Araldite epoxy adhesive to hold everything together tightly :thumbsup:

You can eventually buy O1 ground carbon steel and grind your own bevels if you come across a belt grinder or even hammer out your own blades if you get a forge and anvil (and have the room to set it all up!!!)

Some blanks

Antler and horn

S'more antler and horn- it was only fiver for this lot from t'carboot:D

Rosette damascus billet

Ivory and water buffalo horn with a few silver pommels

A pigsticker blade that i heated and hammered out a file (i'll get around to putting a handle on it one day:rolleyes: )

My little 1CWT anvil..

A little (cheap from the bay) 1" belt sander would be an asset for shaping the handles, these have even been used for grinding the bevels on blades but it's a very slow process..

A buffing machine or the pigtails to fit to a cheap bench grinder will brighten everything up to finish off

Of course it all depends on how much room you have, there's a Sheffield lass that makes folding knives that sell for around £400 each and she used to make them in a corner of her garage about the size of a cupboard- she has much more room now though having bought a public toilet and converted it to a workshop:P

If you decide to give it a go and need a hand, let me know and i'll see if i can help out at all:thumbsup:

EDIT- Forgot to say that beam engine came from our works when it was de-commisioned- Sheffield Forgemasters though it was British Steel when it was taken out..

I'll have to do the tour one day myself (never even been in the Abbeydale hamlet and i only live round the corner from it !!!)

Cheers, John:)

Edited by biggsy

I'd go for painting spooky ... Watercolours are brilliant. I only really started just before Christmas (normally only do pencil drawings) I've done 14 portraits recently (as presents) and already have commissions. The more you do the better you get and it gives you an enormous feeling of self satisfaction. :)

learn a new language then become an interpreter - you could earn a fortune!

I'd go for painting spooky ... Watercolours are brilliant. I only really started just before Christmas (normally only do pencil drawings) I've done 14 portraits recently (as presents) and already have commissions. The more you do the better you get and it gives you an enormous feeling of self satisfaction. :)

I used to love water colours, my favourite medium. Recently i've being trying my hand at acrylics, not been trying much though. I need female inspiration...

At uni I even used to model for life drawing. I wasn't a hermit then though!

I used to love water colours, my favourite medium. Recently i've being trying my hand at acrylics, not been trying much though. I need female inspiration...

At uni I even used to model for life drawing. I wasn't a hermit then though!

Bit off topic, did you just see the prog about Rolf Harris? ... what a brilliant painter!