Longest word you know?

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

The longest town name in the world means "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconiosis.

There was a gameshow in the 90s where you got more points for making long words and that was I think the longest.

Or it could have been floccinoccinihilipilification.

If you're thinking of "Catchword," then floccipaucinihilipilification was the longest word in the dictionary they used. Pneumonoultramiscroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis wasn't in that dictionary, but it does appear in some. (Both are in my copy of Chambers.

However, once you start allowing medical terms, you really ought to allow chemical terms as well, and there is no upper limit to how long the name of a chemical compound could be. Some of them run into tens of thousands of letters!

In the German language, compound titles that we would give as a phrase of multiple words ("Second Assistant Deputy Director of the Department of National Preservation of Forestry, Schleswig-Holstein Division") get mashed together into a single word; I've seen examples which are 90 letters long or more. Again, here, there is no theoretical maximum length that a word can possibly be; it just depends how absurdly complicated a title you can think of.

If you're thinking of "Catchword," then floccipaucinihilipilification was the longest word in the dictionary they used. Pneumonoultramiscroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis wasn't in that dictionary, but it does appear in some. (Both are in my copy of Chambers.

However, once you start allowing medical terms, you really ought to allow chemical terms as well, and there is no upper limit to how long the name of a chemical compound could be. Some of them run into tens of thousands of letters!

In the German language, compound titles that we would give as a phrase of multiple words ("Second Assistant Deputy Director of the Department of National Preservation of Forestry, Schleswig-Holstein Division") get mashed together into a single word; I've seen examples which are 90 letters long or more. Again, here, there is no theoretical maximum length that a word can possibly be; it just depends how absurdly complicated a title you can think of.

Regarding the last paragraph--do stationers therefore make letter paper extra long so that the title of the addressee can be given in full?

"Dear 90 letter long official,

I should like to request...oh sorry, my pen's run out of ink..."

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

The longest town name in the world means "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".

:hihi::hihi::hihi: show off

supercalifragilisticexpealidotious

How about pi? You can calculate it to millions of decimal places and still be no nearer to a final answer...

Oh right yeah I made a spelling mistake but it was unintentional.

I know how to spell hippocrocopig just typed it out wrong in my eagerness to post.

Quickly spotted and changed in order not to offend the grammar police.

My late mother used to talk about "Rhinocerhippocrocodogs" if that's any help?

lol

My vote (aside from the shockingly long chemical compounds) would be for floccinoccinihilipilification, too, defined as "The art of estimating as worthless"!

Simply has to be infinity.

Pneumoconiosis - its the longest word that some lads i've worked with know.

Simply has to be infinity.

Infinity and back again,or alcatraz as it spans the alphabet(a-z)

Regarding the last paragraph--do stationers therefore make letter paper extra long so that the title of the addressee can be given in full?

"Dear 90 letter long official,

I should like to request...oh sorry, my pen's run out of ink..."

You jest, but many of the German ciphers during the war were broken largely because of this tendency. They'd send a message addressed to someone with a ridiculously long military title, and so the first line of the letter would be "Dear 90-letter-long-official," in code. If you knew the proper title of the 90-letter-long-official, you already had the code cracked before you started on the letter itself!