Can my parents claim being homeless ?

i think by todays standards being a law abiding full tax payer means nothing today:huh:

It never really did. Your eligibility to pay tax to provide public services, and your eligibility to receive those services, are entirely separate; were that not so, we could abolish the entire public sector and just make people pay for the services directly, and people who could not pay, would not receive them.

It never really did. Your eligibility to pay tax to provide public services, and your eligibility to receive those services, are entirely separate; were that not so, we could abolish the entire public sector and just make people pay for the services directly, and people who could not pay, would not receive them.
you stalking me :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Hmmm, it doesn't say if her parents were UK tax payers though. If they were and worked all their working lives here then damn right they should be eligible for help.

If’s and but’s, some more details are needed aren’t they.

They are both British citizens that have work until retirment age in Uk and paid tax. (not that that means anything) They receive a state pension form the Uk. They have lived abroad for about 12 years. I think CAB should be their first port of call.

Look at CAB online, chose a CAB office in Sheffield where they have an email address and post your question to them. The online details also show contact phone numbers, opening hours etc.

I presume that your parents will have enough money to travel back to Sheffield and pay for a hotel for a while giving them time to visit letting agencies and find themselves a place to rent. You could even look at the housing section on SF or online letting agencies to find out what local rental accommodation is like.

Rather than turn up without accommodation they could look on Rightmove for property to rent and arrange it all before they arrive. A short term rent would probably be the best until such time as they find the ideal property. Social housing is generally used by those who cannot afford to rent privately so I would advise they use that route as a last resort.

My parents are currently living with me abroad but they need to return back to UK. Mum has health problems and whats to be back in UK. It very difficult for her here as they always need me to translate at doctors etc. The problem is that they don´t have property. Can they return to UK as homeless and where should they go for advise ?

It´s a very worrying time for them and I really need to makes sure they get all the help and advise they need.

Thanks in advance.

Which country are you/they residing in. Did they sell a property prior to moving.

If they are in Zimbabwe , they will get some help as the goverment is allowing people back from there and they do get housing.

They have been staying with me in my property in Canary Islands. They don´t own their own property. They can stay for a short while with my sister. I´ve just found out that they have an online pin number with the council to bid for council property. Can they stilluse this?

They have been staying with me in my property in Canary Islands. They don´t own their own property. They can stay for a short while with my sister. I´ve just found out that they have an online pin number with the council to bid for council property. Can they stilluse this?

Have you tried going online and using it?

speaking from experince allbeit 10 years back, i found dss extremely unhelpful when i was made homeless saying they would stop any benefits because i did not have an address to post to, despite it previously being paid into a bank account and not even a giro. I went from working 80hr weeks to losing 2 jobs and home in a short space of time (through no fault of own) and anywhere i went for help just looked down their noses at me like some waster. Took a lot of pleading and convincing them to not cease what little i had left and allow someone i knew to be as a contact address, who i unfortunately couldnt stay with for other reasons.

I sincerely hope things have improved since but i would seek out lots of advice from the benefits office/CAB etc before your parents risk a situation of not being able to get help

if you are talking about a council house in sheffield they will probably be very old before getting housed. i think even on priority the wait is a long time as there simply isnt enough houses but they should contact council anyway and see if they can get updated to priority anyway if they are not already. sure normal wait list is something stupid like 12yrs and that was before the recession! they may not even get on priority unless they are actually on the street with nowhere to go.