Who remembers Penistone Road

Sorry my skills on the computer are diminishing with age I cant seem to get the scan uploaded

I also have it arse backwards

I do see Walter St running between High House Terrace and Burton St.

I was looking for a street running Off Penistone Rd

Its on todays map no longer named must have been built after 1900 right across from The Barrack (Pub??) runs right into the Don

Here is a 1914 street map. Walter Street is the short unnamed street between High House Terrace and Burton Road (i.e. Burton Street.

P.S that seems to be the wrong side of Penistone rd

P.S that seems to be the wrong side of Penistone rd
I know. I was replying to sweetdexter who was querying the location of Walter Street as given by RoyalRegular..:)

Here is a scan of the same part of Penistone Road, as in the 1925 directory.

In post #8, old tup mentioned a pawn shop. I seem to remember one on Penistone Road, but it was on the other (River Don) side, and a bit further up, nearer to Livesey Street. Does anyone remember this shop?

Joe Winter moved into the pawn shop corner of Bamforth Street when his other shop at Neepsend came under demolition.

Joe Winter moved into the pawn shop corner of Bamforth Street when his other shop at Neepsend came under demolition.
Yes, the 1968 directory shows "J Winter & Son, pawnbrokers" at 561-563 Penistone Road, while the 1942 directory shows "Joseph Winter, pawnbroker" at 4-6 Bardwell Road, Neepsend. In 1942 "Harold P. Hallam, pawnbroker" was at 561-563 Penistone Road. By 1973 "J. Lockwood Edwards, pottery ware" was at No 561.

The pawn shop I remember on the other side might have been "Crosby & Rymer, pawnbrokers" who are shown in an old directory at 274 Penistone Road, just past Driffield Street, though as I wrote I thought it was nearer to Owlerton Bridge than this.

Real interesting 1925 st dir' I see that Matt Monfredi was both Ice cream & furniture bro

Real interesting 1925 st dir' I see that Matt Monfredi was both Ice cream & furniture bro
Yes, the 1911 census shows Matteo Monfredi, born in Naples, Italy, a "secondhand furniture dealer" in Allen Street. The 1942 directory shows Matthew Monfredi as a "general dealer" at 533-535 Penistone Road. He died aged 86 in 1954.

Walter Street? goes between High House Terrace and Capel Street

Walter Street goes between High House terrace and Burton Street

While researching my family history I have found that my ancestors settled in this area (Bamforth street/Burton Street/Capel Street etc) about 1875.

One reletive is said to have lived on High House Road for which I cannot find a record. does anyone know where it was or if it was mistaken for High House terrace.

I have a map of the area in 1903 which indicates a road from Cuthbert bank road to the bottom of Bamforth street adjacent to High House but it is not named although there were houses there. Could anyone confirm if this was the missing road

The remnants of High House Brewery are still there at the bottom of Burton Street

..I have a map of the area in 1903 which indicates a road from Cuthbert bank road to the bottom of Bamforth street adjacent to High House but it is not named although there were houses there. Could anyone confirm if this was the missing road..
Yes - that was High House Road - see here.

Yes - that was High House Road - see here.

Thanks for that.

I dont suppose you know if this area was called "the Cambridge fields"

Yes I 'remember PENISTONE ROAD' both past and present - for being a complete contradiction to a National motoring 'norm' - whereby as a DUAL CARRIAGEWAY in a 'NON BUILT-UP AREA' it carries a Speed Limit of 30mph - whereas in any other Town/City - a travelled experienced Driver would expect a DUAL CARRIAGEWAY in a 'NON BUILT-UP AREA' to naturally carry a Speed Limit of 40mph.

We 'residents' have grown to accept this 'misnoma' through familiarity but pity the poor visiting Driver to our fair City who accidentally gets caught out -unfortunately ON CAMERA. Apologies in anticipation to all unsuspecting Visitors to our 'Anti-motoring City'. . :mad:

Anyone else currently remembering Penistone Rd for all the wrong financial reasons ?