Who remembers Penistone Road

He was more a workmate but the nicest guy you could meet and a pleasure to know.He could fall asleep sat at a Sabbath concert:hihi:and had to nudge him awake many times.

I also worked at the same company as John, Edgar Allen Ltd, Shepcote Lane,

john was in 'small tools ' , I was trackwork.

I do know John did work I think' small tools' company , could have been Sheffield Twist Drill

or James Neill Co, off Ecclesall Rd. :| Owl.

I also worked at the same company as John, Edgar Allen Ltd, Shepcote Lane,

john was in 'small tools ' , I was trackwork.

I do know John did work I think' small tools' company , could have been Sheffield Twist Drill

or James Neill Co, off Ecclesall Rd. :| Owl.

Was Dormer,do you still see John,he must be pushing 80 or so now.

Was Dormer,do you still see John,he must be pushing 80 or so now.

Last time I saw John it would be about 12 years ago.I ran the Sheffield half- Marathon

and was just entering the finish at Don Valley stadium , when low and behold as I entered

the stadium John was on duty as a steward.When I passed him he couldn't believe

his eyes seeing me road running, after many years of race walking.

John lived at Hunters Bar area , and when we worked at Edgar Allens , Shepcote lane,

after work John used to walk from Tinsley to Hunters Bar home to get his mileage up

for the distance walks.

Yes, John was a gentleman and i was honoured to have met him.:thumbsup: Owl,

A clearer view, if you click on picture 4 Neepsend Power Station, then on the top pic of nearby views, it shows a view from Hattersley & Ridge towards ABC streets.

Do you mean pic 4 in the group of 6?

Do you mean pic 4 in the group of 6?

That's correct, then to the first pic. nearby images, to the left.

Hi E. sorry for delay not been on for ages, My name is Stewart, youngest of three Terry & June my elders. I was sorry to hear about Bill Parkin I wondered what had become of him. We lived in Poole for over 7 years were did he live?

I remember Terry well.

There was another pawn shop on Penistone Road situated nearly opposite Winster Road near the bridge near the Sheffield Wednesday Football Ground.

It belonged to Pop Bown and ran for years ( so much for the comment in an earler posting - The posher end of Penistone Road)

It had had the three Golden Balls Sign displayed above the window.

After the business closed the balls were removed buit the fancy metalwork & bracket remained for some years afterwards.

Happy Days! PopT

Been left Sheffield 46 years and the last time I was there I noticed a very old sign on the side of a house between bottom of Parkside Rd and Winster Rd.

Its fading now but you can still make out PALINS, it was the newsagents where I used to get the morning Telegraph from in the 50s and 60s

Anyone remember it?

I remember FTW motor bike shop opposite the gates at Hillsborough park.

Also the Pigeon sheds on the banking opposit whats now Montys Motors.

pigeon coyts you mean

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 11:02 ----------

He was more a workmate but the nicest guy you could meet and a pleasure to know.He could fall asleep sat at a Sabbath concert:hihi:and had to nudge him awake many times.

whats a guy ? do you mean a bloke

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 11:06 ----------

I used to live in the street opposite, Fawley Road

I lived in hobson ave i used to do building on the fiddle for lewis I,m dave brumpton

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 11:13 ----------

is the gingerkid really called stewart martin who lived in burdalls buildings went to burton st school fiftys to 1963 .anyone here from that school .mrs booth was my teacher also mr case

Tha must ony be a lad I went 1943 -1953

I remember The Rose Inn. I worked there for a while, when Kevin was the landlord. It was a long way from my home in Richmond but the money was handy and the customers made the job worthwhile. (Most of the time)

Kevin was a good entertainer. He often picked up a guitar and gave us a

few songs, from his Greycat days. (I'm sure I've got that right. He was one of Pat Leslie's backing group.) Can anybody else remember this?

That would have been Kevin Baines, I went to Shirecliffe school with him, and he taught me my first guitar chords, he played bass guitar in the Greycats band.

The Kelly's Directories for 1925, 1942 and 1954 show "Frederick Joseph Woodhead, fruiterer" at 264 Penistone Road. This was near the corner of Cottam Street (just behind the lamp post in this photo). The next directory I have is for 1968; the shop was still there but run by "Mrs F. Grayson".

i lived in cottam street the shop on the corner in your photo was an hairdressers and it was run by alan french.

i lived in cottam street the shop on the corner in your photo was an hairdressers and it was run by alan french.
Hi emdean - yes, the business is shown in the 1965 directory as "Maison Michelé, laidies' hairdressers" and by 1970 "A. French". The address (262 Pensitone Road) is not shown after 1972, which I imagine is about when the properties were demolished.