Who remembers Penistone Road

Try a view from Neepsend Power Station, there's one looking down the valley 1932.

Found it.Cheers for that.Would you know it's position in regards to the Mills? The power station doesn't seem to be on the 1903 map.

Edited by Lushcannon

the cafe was definately next to the baracks pub in 1982 cos I started work at Presto tools and I always went there for my lunch.
no it was on the corner of Burton St and Penistone Rd

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 11:47 ----------

hi serelle,the only fruit shop on penistone road was Buckleys at the bottom of Burnell rd ,they actually lived in our yard .

we re talking about the real Penistone rd from hillfoot bridge to Bradfield Rd beyond that was posh

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 12:01 ----------

My aunties husband's family had a fruit shop on Penistone Road years ago, they were called Woodhead, I don't know the number on Penistone Road but it could have been somewhere between 480 to 490-ish.....my auntie also lived round there till they pulled the houses down in the 60s.

the shop was at the bottom of cottom st old man woodhead had a big house with a stable opposite he used to have a big horse and did a round selling selling fruit

no it was on the corner of Burton St and Penistone Rd

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 11:47 ----------

we re talking about the real Penistone rd from hillfoot bridge to Bradfield Rd beyond that was posh

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 12:01 ----------

the shop was at the bottom of cottom st old man woodhead had a big house with a stable opposite he used to have a big horse and did a round selling selling fruit

even I remember that shop 1939 we had small shop at 511 my mother would bake meat and pot pies all night remember the wife's coming in with hubby carrying the pots to put in the pies my mother would flood the dish with gravy yum yum:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Found it.Cheers for that.Would you know it's position in regards to the Mills? The power station doesn't seem to be on the 1903 map.

Picture 4, Neepsend Power Station, would say top right of picture, the power station didn't open till 1904.

Silver mills centre top, ABC streets to the left opposite the sharp bend in Club Mill Road.

If you join Britain from above you will be able to expand the photo's.

Edited by retep

I lived on High House Road early 60's. Cuthbert Bank was at the top and Bamforth St at the bottom. The top of High House Rd also led to what we called "the tip" Had pigeon coops and a scrap yard which all led down to Penistone Rd.

did you know my brother peter and jenny clarke lived high house at that time??

Picture 4, Neepsend Power Station, would say top right of picture, the power station didn't open till 1904.

Silver mills centre top, ABC streets to the left opposite the sharp bend in Club Mill Road.

If you join Britain from above you will be able to expand the photo's.

Cheers retep-joined it months ago.Will have a closer look.

born in 1934 so well past my :best before date: but looking at the old pics of the abc sts i remember like last week ,put in Fulwoods homes in 39 for 6yrs still some things are very clear:cool::cool:

A clearer view, if you click on picture 4 Neepsend Power Station, then on the top pic of nearby views, it shows a view from Hattersley & Ridge towards ABC streets.

Can anyone remember the ' Don Inn' at the corner of Penistone Rd and Bedford St ?

Well , that's where my club Sheffield United Harriers ( walking section) met weekly for training every Wednesday evening .You'll remember the Harriers walking in their famous

red and white hooped vests, pounding the streets of Hillsborough, Walkley, Foxhill, Grenoside,

Parson Cross, Ecclesfield.Firth Park , Lane Top, Shirecliffe and many more places.

It was the training on these Wednesday evenings that led me

to win the famous Sheffield ' Star Walk' setting the record time,

of which I am very proud to have been the record holder. :thumbsup: Owl.

Can anyone remember the ' Don Inn' at the corner of Penistone Rd and Bedford St ?

Well , that's where my club Sheffield United Harriers ( walking section) met weekly for training every Wednesday evening .You'll remember the Harriers walking in their famous

red and white hooped vests, pounding the streets of Hillsborough, Walkley, Foxhill, Grenoside,

Parson Cross, Ecclesfield.Firth Park , Lane Top, Shirecliffe and many more places.

It was the training on these Wednesday evenings that led me

to win the famous Sheffield ' Star Walk' setting the record time,

of which I am very proud to have been the record holder. :thumbsup: Owl.

Had a friend who did a lot of walking and was very good at it,John Eddershaw though haven't seen him for a good 15 years.

Had a friend who did a lot of walking and was very good at it,John Eddershaw though haven't seen him for a good 15 years.

:thumbsup: Hiya dobby, I knew John Eddershaw, very well .John was a distance walker.I've

walked with and against John in many , many long distance races .

The famous Manchester to Blackpool' race 52 miles of which John and myself along

with Norman Hopkinson won the team event and of which I myself just missed out

on breaking the record. John by the way was affectionally known by us team-mates

as " nid nod " because of the way he walked nodding his head. :thumbsup: Owl.

:thumbsup: Hiya dobby, I knew John Eddershaw, very well .John was a distance walker.I've

walked with and against John in many , many long distance races .

The famous Manchester to Blackpool' race 52 miles of which John and myself along

with Norman Hopkinson won the team event and of which I myself just missed out

on breaking the record. John by the way was affectionally known by us team-mates

as " nid nod " because of the way he walked nodding his head. :thumbsup: Owl.

He was more a workmate but the nicest guy you could meet and a pleasure to know.He could fall asleep sat at a Sabbath concert:hihi:and had to nudge him awake many times.