Who remembers Penistone Road

my mother-in law came from fawley road...she was a Towler...and married a fred rogers who lived next door

Mrs Towler lived opposite me. I think she lived next to Slinns.

I lived on High House Road early 60's. Cuthbert Bank was at the top and Bamforth St at the bottom. The top of High House Rd also led to what we called "the tip" Had pigeon coops and a scrap yard which all led down to Penistone Rd.

I have mentioned the scrapyard a couple of times in previous threads it was the sorce of all the parts I needed for the bikes I used to build as a young Tup in the 50s.If I remember right a frame cost 1shilling other parts I got for not a lot of money,I would start off with a load of rubbish and in no time I would build a very decent bike,I would ride them till I tired of them and would sell them on to the older lads at school for a healthy profit.They would be asking me all the time when would I build them a bike I even made up a tandem once which was very popular we had no spare cash in those days which made you appreciate things a lot more not like kids today who don,t seem to value anything but thats a sighn of the times I suppose!.:thumbsup::D

Does anyone remember the beer off at the corner of Burnell Road and Penistone Road.

It had hooks in the ceiling for hanging meat but I never remember them being used.

Old Mrs Green used to own a little shop on Penistone Road on the same block.

She was a regular at the Beer Off.

She used to take a white jug and get it filled with beer and always nip into the first entry where she would have a good drink.

She would return to the 'Offie'. to get it topped up again.

I never saw her drunk but she did have a taste for that beer, Bless her!

Happy Days! PopT

Hi PopT this scan from the 1954 directory may bring back a few memories! The directories I have from 1942 to 1970 show Mrs Martha Green at No 111 as a "tobacconist". The 1925 directory shows "Alfred Green, fried fish dealer" at No 911. Public records show that a Martha E. Green, born c. 1891 died in Sheffield in 1969.

Does anyone know of any photos that exist of Upper Slack steel works?

Does anyone know of any photos that exist of Upper Slack steel works?

no photo but often thought my aunt lived on penisstone rd and upper slack that was 1939??

Try,

britainfromabove.org.uk

Used to get my hair cut at Lightening Freds. Shop was between Barrack and I think there was a glass fronted cafe on the corner of Bamforth and Penistone Road. Worked at Daniel Doncasters from '65-'82. Bought my paper at "Mac's" every morning.

are you alan or mick patto who went to burton street school?

---------- Post added 29-07-2014 at 00:24 ----------

I used to live in the street opposite, Fawley Road

the old showroom is still there its now a sex shop .before that i t was a blacksmiths we used to go and watch him shoe the huge shire horses I used to live in Hobson A venue the street above .

Lightning Freds hairdresser was a legend it was said you could see the tram you wanted to catch crossing Hillfoot Bridge going towards Owlerton,nip into Freds get your haircut and still catch your tram!.Thats what they used to say back in the day,I don,t know if its true but it makes a good story!.Something else they used to say about Fred was that when he asked you how you wanted your hair cutting eg "I want the Tony Curtis!" "Oreate son!",when you looked in the mirror it was short back and sides everytime,what a character !.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Try,

britainfromabove.org.uk

Tried that mate.Doesn't seem to extend further than Neepsend gas works.

The pie shop was on the corner of Driffield St, the owners were Mr & Mrs Ward. Correction to my last thread, the shop was still open when they were going round in the van.

Hi thegingerkid I knew Mr Ward quite well as besides the pie and pea shop he was employed at the Neepsend Power Station,in the offices I think!.I knew him because he was a friend of our old boy who was the foreman joiner there,later when I was a salesman for the Don Bakery I used to sell him breadcakes,steak and kidney and meat and potato pies,they sold trays of em!.They were one of my best customers,I was 17yrs old at the time just starting the most enjoyable time of my working life,happy days!:thumbsup::D

Tried that mate.Doesn't seem to extend further than Neepsend gas works.

Try a view from Neepsend Power Station, there's one looking down the valley 1932.