Who remembers Penistone Road

hi serelle,the only fruit shop on penistone road was Buckleys at the bottom of Burnell rd ,they actually lived in our yard .

Maybe this shop was earlier than your time because I HAVE seen a photo of the actual shop but I don't know the year - it was definitely pre-war.

My aunties husband's family had a fruit shop on Penistone Road years ago, they were called Woodhead,..
The Kelly's Directories for 1925, 1942 and 1954 show "Frederick Joseph Woodhead, fruiterer" at 264 Penistone Road. This was near the corner of Cottam Street (just behind the lamp post in this photo). The next directory I have is for 1968; the shop was still there but run by "Mrs F. Grayson".

Thank you Hillsbro xx I'm sorry I got the number wrong, but I was certain about the shop!! My auntie lived nearby with her husband in a house owned by the Woodheads - I'm surprised the shop still existed in 1968 as I thought it was pulled down mid-60s cos that's when my auntie's house was compulsory purchased. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'll ask her, although she's 88 now and gets confused, but she can often remember stuff from years ago.

The New Barrack Tavern is on the corner of High House Terrace, between Burton Street and Capel Street. Here is a scan from the 1942 directory showing this part of Penistone Road - the shopkeepers' names etc. may bring back a few memories!

Hey Hilsbro, would you have a scan of all the shops on Meadow Street in the 60's..:thumbsup:

Ruzzer

Had you forgotten about Nellie Nixons shop and Bernard Worth's shop at the end of Dutton Road on the corner with Penistone Road.

Both of them sold fruit and Veggies, later Bernard made the shop into a cafe and then started up selling from a van around the Parson Cross and Southey estates.

PopT, Happy Days!

Hey Hilsbro, would you have a scan of all the shops on Meadow Street in the 60's..:thumbsup:
Here's a scan from the 1968 directory..:)

Here's a scan from the 1968 directory..:)

That is brilliant Hilsbro. you wouldnt have 64-65.would you.thanks so much.:)

That is brilliant Hilsbro. you wouldnt have 64-65.would you.thanks so much.:)
No - I have 1954 and then 1968 (and a few more - see my post #123 above).

anybody remember wearhead garage on penistone road opposite hifoot club; it was owned by louis lenzini, i worked there as apprentice panal beater about 1960 , i think its gone now . tony p

I used to live in the street opposite, Fawley Road

I used to live in the street opposite, Fawley Road

my mother-in law came from fawley road...she was a Towler...and married a fred rogers who lived next door

anyone know of susan monfredi ,was my wifes best school mate ,relative of monfredi ice cream

she went to live in scunthorpe.i stillvisit her sister quite regularly.