Who remembers Penistone Road

Hi heidifreya, yes my surname is martin. My Great Grandmother used to live in the first house up caple st on the left, then my Aunt & Uncle lived there after she died.

well if it aint stewart martin how yer doin stew .some time since we met ,u moved down south post me

the cafe was on the corner of burton st and penistone rd

My uncle worked at Weir Head garage for a while, and it is indeed, long gone.

weir head garage building is still there its now a sex shop next building is hillborough fences presto now almost gone pawn shop was corner of bamforth now john quinn ex wednesday player sandwich shop building next to hacksaws is there enjoying this

Used to get my hair cut at Lightening Freds. Shop was between Barrack and I think there was a glass fronted cafe on the corner of Bamforth and Penistone Road. Worked at Daniel Doncasters from '65-'82. Bought my paper at "Mac's" every morning.

The pawn shop was on the corner of bamforth st ,the entrance was directly on the corner, next door was freds next was a sweet shop then the cafe ,on the corner was a fish and chip shop . a fish was 3 pence in real money in 1963 and if you took a bird to flix you really got what you asked for , a seat full of bugs

The pawn shop was on the corner of bamforth st ,the entrance was directly on the corner, next door was freds next was a sweet shop then the cafe ,on the corner was a fish and chip shop . a fish was 3 pence in real money in 1963 and if you took a bird to flix you really got what you asked for , a seat full of bugs

You are talking Bamforth going toward burton are u not we lived about 5?? shops in the other way past Monfreddies but my fogie brain cant remember just who or what was on either side of us:confused::confused:

Yes, the 1911 census shows Matteo Monfredi, born in Naples, Italy, a "secondhand furniture dealer" in Allen Street. The 1942 directory shows Matthew Monfredi as a "general dealer" at 533-535 Penistone Road. He died aged 86 in 1954.

when i was a kid my mum used to work for a Dom Monfredi on park view road,selling ice-creams ,it was called Truffellis.happy days.

when i was a kid my mum used to work for a Dom Monfredi on park view road,selling ice-creams ,it was called Truffellis.happy days.

yes as a kid knew old matt well use to play with his grand kids

yes as a kid knew old matt well use to play with his grand kids

hello flyer we lived in burnell road and i knew a gina monfredi i think she was doms daughter, and about my age,though we were n't really mates.

hello flyer we lived in burnell road and i knew a gina monfredi i think she was doms daughter, and about my age,though we were n't really mates.

didn't know any girls or dom I think one of the names could have been paul but that was way back in 39

didn't know any girls or dom I think one of the names could have been paul but that was way back in 39

I wasnt born til 53 so before me,but my late mum Barbara Shaw came from borough road,and knew that family well,i bet she would have known you Flyer !

well if it aint stewart martin how yer doin stew .some time since we met ,u moved down south post me

Hi Dave I did send you an email, still waiting for reply!!

Miss Booth was my first and third teacher.

My aunties husband's family had a fruit shop on Penistone Road years ago, they were called Woodhead, I don't know the number on Penistone Road but it could have been somewhere between 480 to 490-ish.....my auntie also lived round there till they pulled the houses down in the 60s.