Who remembers Penistone Road

Walter Street? goes between High House Terrace and Capel Street

it was between high house terrace and burton st

The map shows a short cul-de-sac after Driffield Street but doesn't name it. The 1942 directory shows "Upper Slack" in this location without naming any residents, though Daniel Doncaster & Sons, J.H. Swift Ltd and Annealers Ltd are shown on or near Upper Slack. The 1925 directory shows Nether Slack a bit further along, with Thompson Bros. wire manufacturers located there, after which was "Neepsend cricket ground" and then Nos. 452-458 Penistone Road before Owlerton Bridge. I imagine that Upper and Nether Slack are the two cul-de-sacs shown on the map.

the small street off driffield st was called eden street

Did anybody go to langsett road school in the late fortys and remembers miss short the headteacher

i was at the school in the late 40s i lived at the bottom of capel st we could have been in the same class

what was your name i lived next to robert owen and bill parkin lived upstairs from us but bill moved to dorset and he passed away about five years ago i am a big friend of his wife we lost touch but found one another through the internet after thirty years

billy parkin was a friend of my brothers he used to go on holiday with us to blackpool sorry to heas hes passed away

Hi E. sorry for delay not been on for ages, My name is Stewart, youngest of three Terry & June my elders. I was sorry to hear about Bill Parkin I wondered what had become of him. We lived in Poole for over 7 years were did he live?

was your surname martin

Hi heidifreya, yes my surname is martin. My Great Grandmother used to live in the first house up caple st on the left, then my Aunt & Uncle lived there after she died.

Hi heidifreya, yes my surname is martin. My Great Grandmother used to live in the first house up caple st on the left, then my Aunt & Uncle lived there after she died.

Did the Burgoen's (spelling)also live caple st 40sand 50s

Yes, the 1968 directory shows "J Winter & Son, pawnbrokers" at 561-563 Penistone Road, while the 1942 directory shows "Joseph Winter, pawnbroker" at 4-6 Bardwell Road, Neepsend. In 1942 "Harold P. Hallam, pawnbroker" was at 561-563 Penistone Road. By 1973 "J. Lockwood Edwards, pottery ware" was at No 561.

The pawn shop I remember on the other side might have been "Crosby & Rymer, pawnbrokers" who are shown in an old directory at 274 Penistone Road, just past Driffield Street, though as I wrote I thought it was nearer to Owlerton Bridge than this.

the pawn shop betweenbamforth andburton st was poppy hallams the ot warehouse that belong to lockwood edwards used to be apub

anybody remember wearhead garage on penistone road opposite hifoot club; it was owned by louis lenzini, i worked there as apprentice panal beater about 1960 , i think its gone now . tony p

I lived in hobson ave used to do building jobs for luis on the fiddle

anybody remember wearhead garage on penistone road opposite hifoot club; it was owned by louis lenzini, i worked there as apprentice panal beater about 1960 , i think its gone now . tony p

My uncle worked at Weir Head garage for a while, and it is indeed, long gone.

Yes - that was High House Road - see here.

think it was called cuthbert terrace

I did a lot of building work for louis did you work with harry allender?I lived in hobson ave