Blaker murder in Sheffield

More memory recall. I think Black was charged with Robbery, as that was the original intention. One of a string across the country. Most unreported.

A local solicitor/property developer bought the murder house for a song, as I recall the Laitner murder house on Dore Road went for £55K.

A local solicitor/property developer bought the murder house for a song, as I recall the Laitner murder house on Dore Road went for £55K.

Blaker's house had been broken into 5 years previously by Arthur Hutchinson, whilest on the run after murdering three members of the Laitner family (co-incidentally one of those killed, Basil Laitner, was also a solicitor like Blaker) at nearby Dore in Sheffield.

Hutchinson broke into Blaker's house through the window of the rear bedroom (by climbing onto the flat-roofed sun room) - but then found all internal doors were locked, and could get no further.

Hutchinson was later convicted at Durham Crown Court.

Some I know bought the directors script from the film of George Formby No Limit about the TT races from the auction of his possesions.

Blaker's house had been broken into 5 years previously by Arthur Hutchinson, whilest on the run after murdering three members of the Laitner family (co-incidentally one of those killed, Basil Laitner, was also a solicitor like Blaker) at nearby Dore in Sheffield.

Hutchinson broke into Blaker's house through the window of the rear bedroom (by climbing onto the flat-roofed sun room) - but then found all internal doors were locked, and could get no further.

Hutchinson was later convicted at Durham Crown Court.

Blaker wasn't a solicitor, he was a university lecturer, his property was purchased by a solicitor after his murder. Blaker was gay, he used to drink at the Wheatsheaf and often had a pet rat with him, that he carried on his shoulder, he met his murderers in the Wheatsheaf, the rest is history.

I had no idea about the Hutchinson connection, that is really spooky, I don't much go for coincidences like that, makes you wonder doesn't it? I used to know the guy who owned and ran Parkhead Garage, I wager that he could tell a tale as he was rarely out of the Wheatsheaf, sadly he's been dead for circa 20 years.

Blaker wasn't a solicitor, he was a university lecturer, his property was purchased by a solicitor after his murder. Blaker was gay, he used to drink at the Wheatsheaf and often had a pet rat with him, that he carried on his shoulder, he met his murderers in the Wheatsheaf, the rest is history.

I had no idea about the Hutchinson connection, that is really spooky, I don't much go for coincidences like that, makes you wonder doesn't it? I used to know the guy who owned and ran Parkhead Garage, I wager that he could tell a tale as he was rarely out of the Wheatsheaf, sadly he's been dead for circa 20 years.

Blaker (whose name was R C Blaker) WAS a qualified solicitor (in fact his solicitor's certificate was his main qualification for being a Lecturer of Law at the then Poly).

His father and grandfather had a practise in Chesterfield many years ago (R B Blaker & Co) and although Rex's full time occupation was as a lecturer he also kepts his solicitors business going as a part-time concern ... mainly doing conveyancing work.

He did not meet his killers in the Wheatsheaf. Paul Black had visited Blaker's house at least twice prior to the murders. When he teamed up with Delgado and started a series of robberies, Blaker's house seemed an ideal proposition. They (or rather Black) knew Blaker was frequently away at weekends and drove up from London on the off-chance. However, on passing the house they saw Blaker outside with one of his three motorcycles.

They then drove into Sheffield to decide what to do next.

Black phoned Blaker and told him that they were setting off from London en route for Scotland, and could they call and see him. Blaker agreed. The trio then had to waste 2/3 hours (supposedly the time taken to drive from London) before actually arriving at the house.

Blaker then took all three to the Wheatsheaf for a drink (which turned into several - as they were there all evening).

It's assumed that he (Blaker) suggested that they stay the night - rather than continue to Scotland (where he thought they were going) at that hour - and the murder happened around 3am.

PS - The rat was named Steve (and frequently went on the motorcycle, inside Blaker's jacket) !

Edited by SpireMan

Blaker (whose name was R C Blaker) WAS a qualified solicitor (in fact his solicitor's certificate was his main qualification for being a Lecturer of Law at the then Poly).

His father and grandfather had a practise in Chesterfield many years ago (R B Blaker & Co) and although Rex's full time occupation was as a lecturer he also kepts his solicitors business going as a part-time concern ... mainly doing conveyancing work.

He did not meet his killers in the Wheatsheaf. Paul Black had visited Blaker's house at least twice prior to the murders. When he teamed up with Delgado and started a series of robberies, Blaker's house seemed an ideal proposition. They (or rather Black) knew Blaker was frequently away at weekends and drove up from London on the off-chance. However, on passing the house they saw Blaker outside with one of his three motorcycles.

They then drove into Sheffield to decide what to do next.

Black phoned Blaker and told him that they were setting off from London en route for Scotland, and could they call and see him. Blaker agreed. The trio then had to waste 2/3 hours (supposedly the time taken to drive from London) before actually arriving at the house.

Blaker then took all three to the Wheatsheaf for a drink (which turned into several - as they were there all evening).

It's assumed that he (Blaker) suggested that they stay the night - rather than continue to Scotland (where he thought they were going) at that hour - and the murder happened around 3am.

PS - The rat was named Steve (and frequently went on the motorcycle, inside Blaker's jacket) !

Phew, I bow to your knowledge, what do you think about the Hutchinson connection?

Phew, I bow to your knowledge, what do you think about the Hutchinson connection?

I think it was just a co-incidence.

Hutchinson was a desperate man, and looking for shelter. Blaker's house was frequently empty (unlike most of the other homes on that street - occupied by families etc) with little sign of activity. It was probably the most obvious choice to break into.

why was he murdered though?

I dont think it was planned - or intended.

I believe that they may have been searching the house for something to steal and were interrupted by Blaker waking-up.

Here is an intresting report on Delgado's appeal.

http://www.courtnewsuk.co.uk/crime_archive/?id=24524

<<< Co-accused Paul Thomas was also sentenced to life after

pleading guilty to the murder.>>>

I was right ... BOTH men were convicted of murder (so it could have been Thomas who was released circa 2000?)

The report says Blaker was injured at the time (I think Delgado made this up - I have no recollection of it at all).

NOTE - The appeal's description of the killing make no mention at all of "broken glass" ?

Edited by SpireMan