Outside copper pipe keeps leaking

outside 15mm copper pipe keeps leaking, its attached to a garden tap and its had a plasctic stop end on it for over a year but has been coming off in this very cold climate, so i bought a compression bronze stop end last week, that was ok but again came off yesterday just as i was about to go out, so i have put the plastic one back on as i didnt have any time or spanners to tighten the bronze one, but have got a feeling its going to come off again and im on a water meter so i dont wana be out all day whilst its leaking.....

any ideas on what i can use that will do the trick??? or is it best to get it capped off by a plumber once & for all and how much to do this???? i know its only a small job but i need it sorting...

thanks

You can do it yorself with the bronze stop and a spanner if your in town Poundland will sell you an adjustable spanner.

its the water turning to ice in the pipe. if there was no water it would not happen. can you see the pipe indoors? it may have a tap on it, in which case turn it off, or install one. perhaps if it was insulated it wouldn't happen, but I don't really know, especially as cold as it has been recently.

i have fitted the bronze one but its coming off, atleast it did yesterday, so dont really want to risk it again, the plastic one has just come off again.....

The water in the pipe isn't turning into ice atleast it isnt now as i have just been to check, but it is filled with water, the pipe is outside and there is no stop tap on it... i have had some insulation round the pipe but that hasnt helped...

Sounds like you need an internal isolator, then you can turn off the tap inside.

The copper pipe could now be damaged causing the fittings to slip off.

Post which area your in.

Yes, as Dan says, best thing is to have an isolation valve inside, then you can shut the iso and open the outside tap, thus draining the bit of water outside, then there is nothing to freeze. No doubt it IS a freezing problem you are having

cheers guys...

there in no internal pipe showing its in the wall. so not sure about the isolation valve inside.....

I have put a new plastic grey stop end on it now, had the white one on before, which i was told is for the inside not outside.

I am in S60, i still think i need the pipe capping so no chance of it leaking!

Try Oliver 07867958487 lives in s9