The Council Roulette Game!!

Our street is 99% private owned, and the only council house nearby is located next to me, now we used to have lovley neighbours but she has moved due to illness.

How long do these houses stay empty? As its a 3 bed in a quiet street, of mainly elderly people whats the chances of me having a nice old person moving in next to us?

I'm starting to get a little worried that the council might move a hell family in or similar, if they do how easy is it to get them shifted?

It all feels similar to a roulette game, I would even buy the house from the council if they would let us!!

Anyone else had similar experiences??

Don't worry, it will be fine.

It will be empty just long enough for it to the windows to get broken, the boiler ripped out and the ground floor flooded. It will be a haven for junkies for a couple of weeks and only once is reeks of p*ss will it get boarded up. Next stage is to let the house to a family of 8 who were evicted from their previous house for antisocial behaviour. Within a month there will be 4 broken down cars outside, at least one of which will be a Mondeo. There will be 30 sacks of rubbish in the back garden next to the old sofa, the used nappies will be thrown into your garden. They will be animal lovers though so will have 2 Staffys that will be chained up outside which are specially trained to provide 24 hour barking seven days a week.

If you even look at any of them you will be a target, your house will be a target, your car will be a target....

It will be fine :)

it could be months before the council relet this property given how the housing system operates .you will not get a older person moving into this property so expect a family moving in.

Thanks for making me less worried Nick!!

it could be months before the council relet this property given how the housing system operates .you will not get a older person moving into this property so expect a family moving in.

I just really hope its nice people I would really hate for a family from hell to move in etc.

There's no glossing over this, if it's a three bedroomed house as you state. It will most likely be a priority mover/homeless family, so fear the worst.

Our street is 99% private owned, and the only council house nearby is located next to me, now we used to have lovley neighbours but she has moved due to illness.

How long do these houses stay empty? As its a 3 bed in a quiet street, of mainly elderly people whats the chances of me having a nice old person moving in next to us?

I'm starting to get a little worried that the council might move a hell family in or similar, if they do how easy is it to get them shifted?

It all feels similar to a roulette game, I would even buy the house from the council if they would let us!!

Anyone else had similar experiences??

i guess its the risk you have to take when u buy a council house :)

My Mum in law died back in April, leaving a 3 bedroom council semi, and her neighbours who own their house were worried just like you. Within a couple of weeks a couple with two small children had moved in, and they get along fine. There are decent people moving into council houses, despite what you read.

i guess its the risk you have to take when u buy a council house :)

Yeh, unfortunatley, i'm going to stay optimistic.

My Mum in law died back in April, leaving a 3 bedroom council semi, and her neighbours who own their house were worried just like you. Within a couple of weeks a couple with two small children had moved in, and they get along fine. There are decent people moving into council houses, despite what you read.

Giving a 3 bed house to 2 small children. bloody council.

:)

Thats made me feel loads better, I hope similar happens to us, as it would be a great house for a young family (like ourselves).

My elderly parents have had three different "tenants" living next door to them over the years. Finally after the last so called "people" moved out we got onto our local councillor who kindly sent a letter to the housing department asking for a "sensitive letting" which worked and a nice south african family moved in.