Why do taxi drivers charge more over Christmas?

Can anyone reasonably explain the surcharge we have to pay to the Taxi fares over the festive period??

Without being racist, 99.9% of taxi drivers do not celebrate Christmas and the 0.01% that do will be in front of the television with a mince pie or two !!!

It's still a Bank Holiday, and they're working just like the others that are working in shops or bars (who usually get paid time and a half, generally). A £2 extra charge doesn't seem unreasonable to me? That's the only charge the taxi company I use are putting on the fare anyway - had a text confirming.

a mince pie or two !!!

I don't like Mince pies. Am a sausage roll man myself.

Like what was said above most other employees get extra so why shouldn't taxi drivers. Plus your forgetting when it was Eid us english drivers were coining it in so why can't they do the same.

Edited by Event Horizo

It's still a Bank Holiday, and they're working just like the others that are working in shops or bars (who usually get paid time and a half, generally). A £2 extra charge doesn't seem unreasonable to me? That's the only charge the taxi company I use are putting on the fare anyway - had a text confirming.

Nicely put KTHFB, if they're working public holidays they're quite entitled to a bit extra.

taxi drivers used to charge fare and half during the xmas and new year holidays .given that the council now dictates an amount the the taxi companies should charge over this period smells of big brother taking over .all/most taxi drivers are self employed and given that this period only last for 5/6 days out of the year they should make what they can (within reason). these drivers are giving up their holidays to make sure people are going out and getting home safely . these drivers will also be taking the brunt of people who are drunk/abusive/argumentative and most of all clearing sick up out of their cabs :gag: .

these drivers will also be taking the brunt of people who are drunk/abusive/argumentative and most of all clearing sick up out of their cabs .

Amen to that. Thats why i avoid days like Mad friday. Too much stress and bother with drunk numpties.:hihi:

Can anyone reasonably explain the surcharge we have to pay to the Taxi fares over the festive period??

Without being racist, 99.9% of taxi drivers do not celebrate Christmas and the 0.01% that do will be in front of the television with a mince pie or two !!!

How else will people get home, maybe it is an incentive to keep the 700 vehicles on the road this festive sesaon, if you dont want to pay the fare, walk or go home early on the public/now private transport. I can guarentee that the fare on the tram and the buses will be the same as all year round, but unfortunately all their vehicles will be locked up in the garages when people need them. :huh:

Catch a train on Xmas eve or Boxong day and I guarentee the price will be the highest end of their fare structure.

Would you be happier for paying higher fares during other religions festivals instead? I somehow suspect that you wouldn't.

taxi drivers used to charge fare and half during the xmas and new year holidays .given that the council now dictates an amount the the taxi companies should charge over this period smells of big brother taking over .all/most taxi drivers are self employed and given that this period only last for 5/6 days out of the year they should make what they can (within reason). these drivers are giving up their holidays to make sure people are going out and getting home safely . these drivers will also be taking the brunt of people who are drunk/abusive/argumentative and most of all clearing sick up out of their cabs :gag: .

Just to point out, the Council legally can only dictate what the Hackney Carriages can charge, They have no say over what a private hire firm charges, the private hire firms are only re-acting to the market forces as the if they continued to charge fare and half, then they would be fare more expensive then a hackney, there are now 854 hackney in the city and thus private hire drivers may well loose out if they are dearer then a Hackney.

Maybe the text notices from the taxi firm are to make the passengers aware so that the very few and I stress very few private hire drivers that will ask for the fare and half?

I used to be a taxi driver and to be honest I stopped working the Christmas period because of the abuse I got for charging fare and a half. So I withdrew my labour and enjoyed the festive period with my family.

It is worth remembering that the non muslim drivers have families at home and they are working to make sure people get around during the festive period but are also getting rewarded for putting themselves out. As for the Muslim drivers well they don't get paid extra for their Eid so wants wrong with getting a bonus at Christmas to cover it.

If people object to it they consider staying sober and drive or get the bus / tram or walk. If I was to go back on the taxi's I still wouldn't work Christmas if it was triple fare, the abuse just isn't worth it.

Who cares what religion they are, facts remain that their partners and children will be off work and school for the holidays and instead of staying at home with them they will still be staying up til silly o clock ferrying round pissheads and wiping the sick off their seats.

Time and half/double fair i dont agree with but im happy to pay £2 extra.