Finding information about a dead person

I no this is a really morbid thread for this time of year but hope someone can help

My partner lost his mum 14 years ago, he was only 6 and was quickly brought up by his father and step mum. we've just had a baby together and its started bugging him that there are things he doesn't know about his mum, the main one being her date of birth

we know where her grave is but it doesn't say anything, how can we find out?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

I don't think its morbid at all. Its the most natural thing there is.

Obviously, we dont know the details, but there could be a whole lot of his mother's relatives out there, who have been thinking these last few days, "I wonder what ever happened to...............?"

as daft as it sounds have you tried googling her. Put in her full name and died whatever year it was and it should take you to a link. I found my mum that way even though I know when she passed away.

Good luck with your search kel-lou. Several years ago I started looking for my birth father who I hadn't seen in 30 years. I only knew his name and possible age. Online searching brought me to SF where I posed a request for information about my dad. A lady posted saying that she was looking for people with the same surname as my dad but from his probable age she thought we weren't related. In the most generous act of kindness the lady went to the registrars office and found some details about my dad which she pmed to me. Unfortunately my dad had died three years earlier so I was never able to meet him but I did get to visit his grave. To me this was SF at its best and I will always be indebted to that anonymous lady.

Also kel-lou if you want more information about your partner's mum (and you are willing to put her name on to the forum) what about posting on the history and ex-pats section? Often people use that section when looking for lost friends and relatives. That's where I posted my request for info on my dad.

Edited by chimay

I have an ancestry subscription - if you let me have her name and year of death, I can see when her death was registered. You'll then be able to order the death certificate on-line. I think it costs around £7 or so!!! :) :)

If you have not done so already try posting it on the Sheffield records and the Sheffield

indexers forums .There will most likely be someone on there who can help.

I have an ancestry subscription - if you let me have her name and year of death, I can see when her death was registered. You'll then be able to order the death certificate on-line. I think it costs around £7 or so!!! :) :)

Wow what a way to go ...good for you

some brilliant suggestions there, thanks again, and thank you to everybody who has offered to search for her on bmd. some very moving PM's received.

Im going to discuss with my partner about posting her details on here and you never know who else may crop up, we know he has sisters but again dont know their where abouts. its awful to think he maybe walking past members of his family in the street and not even no it :(