What happened to the Boating Lakes?

On 02/07/2021 at 06:19, Lils said:

I presume there were once boating facilities on Crooke Valley lake....? Just gather from chatting to the local fishermen down there. 

Yes - with rowing boats for hire and a motorboat where you could pay for a circuit or more of the lake.
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s28892&pos=2&action=zoom&id=90545

19 hours ago, Elmambo said:

Is that any relation to the Pullens who lived on Cobdenview Road, they were Showmen.

Couldn’t say - but probably. Keith had the fair at Millhouses and used to do a stint on the Moor and the dodgems at the back of Debenhams at Xmas etc.

As a teenager in the ‘80s i worked for him for a while.

His brother was a university lecturer iirc. I think hes the one at the boating lake - or was.

There’s a Pullens in Endcliffe park - probably their kids by now !

Happy memories (rose tinted I dont doubt lol)

Wasn't  the Firth Park boating lake for model boats only ?

8 hours ago, St Petre said:

Wasn't  the Firth Park boating lake for model boats only ?

Yes it was.

I remember going there often.   

On one particular visit with my aunty and two cousins I accidently pushed one of my cousins into the boating lake.  He was sailing his boat on the lake and I was messing about with my other cousin .... we were pushing and shoving each other as kids do.   I remember my aunty saying it was time to go home and my cousin who was sailing his boat didn't want to .......   so my aunty said alright just one last push  ........  and I pushed him in !

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!   I was only about 5 years old but I've never forgotten it even though it was about 60 years ago.

🤣  🤣  🤣

7 hours ago, francypants said:

Yes it was.

I remember going there often.   

On one particular visit with my aunty and two cousins I accidently pushed one of my cousins into the boating lake.  He was sailing his boat on the lake and I was messing about with my other cousin .... we were pushing and shoving each other as kids do.   I remember my aunty saying it was time to go home and my cousin who was sailing his boat didn't want to .......   so my aunty said alright just one last push  ........  and I pushed him in !

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!   I was only about 5 years old but I've never forgotten it even though it was about 60 years ago.

🤣  🤣  🤣

If I remember correctly, you were also guilty of pushing your sister in.

Our boating lake at High Hazels went in the mid 1990's.

The golf club were given the top of the park for 3 new holes to compensate for the land they lost to the airport.

We lost the lake,2 tennis courts,2 cricket pitches,a pitch and putt course and the circular walk,all without any public consultation.

This led to the formation of Friends of High Hazels Park so hopefully that sort of thing can't happen again.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

If I remember correctly, you were also guilty of pushing your sister in.

No Padders, I've only ever pushed my cousin in.   But he is like a brother to me.