Alone for christmas/new year

im spending xmas alone, due to not being able to drive anywhere or make long journeys on public transport. im staying in on new years eve as i cant risk going out amongst the drunken populace with a broken leg! but i dont really care, i'll have a little tipple by myself!

i've got myself a little xmas tree all decorated up (all cost less than a tenner from tesco) with presents from a very special person sat underneath waiting for xmas morning.

i cant wait for xmas day! even bought myself some stuff for a one person xmas dinner!

some people love being alone on xmas day. im not feeling sad about it. in fact, this will probably be one of my best xmas's ever as i havent had to go to work and slog my guts out in a supermarket! im actually really lookng forward to the day!

the only thing that would make it perfect was if that special someone was here, but you cant have everything!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Same here and I totally agree with everything you say except I can't cook(or don't like cooking) so I'm just popping off to Marks & Spencer and I'm going to treat myself to something nice. Have a lovely Christmas

Im sure that when its a one off Christmas that your spending alone, then thats ok, or if you have got a someone special in your life, even when they are not able to spend Christmas with you, they are still apart of your life, but as I explained, unfortunatly I cant have a relationship due to my prolapsed uterus, so thats not an option for me.

I havent any kids (cant have them) & no pets (dont want them) & the family I keep in touch with live 3 hrs away and as I explained one brother goes to his fiances for Christmas etc & they have no room as all her family go & the other has a wife who causes trouble, arguments & were too embarrised by the way she behaved on the one off Christmas I spent with them approx 5 years ago, that they dont want to have me again as they dont want to risk a repeat of her making another seen and showing herself up again.

Ive had to spend the last 7/10 christmas eves/xmas days/boxing days new years & new years days alone.

When someone lives alone like I do, its not much fun having to spend xmas etc alone too & not worth putting decorations up or cooking a turkey.

Its not the food or tinsel, but the company that counts.

Hi, I don't know why some people are hostile on here either. If you haven't got anything positive to say and all that ...

My suggestion would be to volunteer on Christmas day somewhere. There is a thread on here somewhere looking for volunteers for a homeless charity on the day. I think people put far too much emphasis on what is, in my view, one day of the year when we are all expected to enjoy ourselves. To do something worthwhile and have a brief insight into other people's lives will make you feel better about yourself.

Hope you are alright love.

Could you and your friend on POW rd not just get together, go halves on everything?

Problem solved.

Save the money you would have spent on petrol & food, and get yourself some stuff in (not stuffing - that's different) and cook yourself some Christmas lunch. Invite some of your neighbours? Find someone who sleeps rough and get them round?

I never put a Christmas tree up, and hence no baubles.

I therefore rarely get kissed under the balls. :(

Im spending my first xmas alone this year.So ive bought 3 xbox games to pass the time lol.typical bloke.

Im sure that when its a one off Christmas that your spending alone, then thats ok, or if you have got a someone special in your life, even when they are not able to spend Christmas with you, they are still apart of your life, but as I explained, unfortunatly I cant have a relationship due to my prolapsed uterus, so thats not an option for me.

I havent any kids (cant have them) & no pets (dont want them) & the family I keep in touch with live 3 hrs away and as I explained one brother goes to his fiances for Christmas etc & they have no room as all her family go & the other has a wife who causes trouble, arguments & were too embarrised by the way she behaved on the one off Christmas I spent with them approx 5 years ago, that they dont want to have me again as they dont want to risk a repeat of her making another seen and showing herself up again.

Ive had to spend the last 7/10 christmas eves/xmas days/boxing days new years & new years days alone.

When someone lives alone like I do, its not much fun having to spend xmas etc alone too & not worth putting decorations up or cooking a turkey.

Its not the food or tinsel, but the company that counts.

i've spent the last ten years of christmas days alone. my family live 100 miles away and are muslim. in previous years i always volunteered to work late night xmas eve and early morning boxing day so that other staff who did really care about xmas could have a good time with their families. i've no kids (dont want them) and no pets (cant have them).

this is the first year that i have properly tried to make an effort - just for myself. mainly cos im not working and thought it'd be fun. i, too, live alone and that special someone lives 400 miles away.

im just trying to be positive about the time i have to myself this year. and i have to admit i feel a lot better than i have in previous years cos i've made the effort to do something festive, even if there's only me that will be enjoying it. i've only got a tiny tree decorated and a bit of food to make a roast dinner on the day, which all cost me less than £20. i just dont see the point of being miserable when i can at least treat myself like other people do.

as for company, there's only one person that i would like to share the day with, but she's not here and anyone else would just feel like an effort, its all very well having company but if its not someone i particularly want to be with then it aint worth it.

volunteering may be your best bet at getting out with other people and keeping busy on the day. i had thought about going to offer help at the cathedral, but i cant do it due to being on crutches. so im just making the best of what i can do.

a little bit of positivity can go a long way.

i know there has been a lot of criticism on this thread, but everything you say sounds like you are blaming other people for everything thats making you upset.

i could be annoyed that my leg got broken so i cant do my usual, or annoyed with my friend for having moved away so far, or my friends for all going home to their families, but i dont see the point in being miserable. thats just the way it is. me and the radio and the roast dinner will be perfectly happy by ourselves this year.

a different outlook on life can have a big impact on how you feel.

(this isnt meant to be a dig at you. but we are kinda in the same situation. we're just feeling it differently, i guess).

look on the cathedral thread, i think, and see if they still want volunteers.

The word is Christmas, not xmas.

sorry, my apologies! i was being lazy.... :D

I really hope you have a wonderful Christmas OP, a lot of the replies remind me why I rarely come on here anymore. xx