Pipes frozen, boiler not working, have my attempts made it worse?

sorry hanksy should have worded my post a little better,

as mickey says if your condensate trap was to empty by a fault or other

means then fumes would enter the property,never ran a condensate

into the sink waste as stated with the risk above,but we try too run it inside into

the soil stack if possible,there has been fatalities with people messing

with the condensate pipe,if in doubt call someone out

regards Phil

ange 1312 unsure of the cost of these heaters,but been told they run

24/7 so will be a bit expensive to run,hence so many frozen condensates.

i can look into it for you if you would like me to regarding cost

Regards Phil

sorry hanksy should have worded my post a little better,

as mickey says if your condensate trap was to empty by a fault or other

means then fumes would enter the property,never ran a condensate

into the sink waste as stated with the risk above,but we try too run it inside into

the soil stack if possible,there has been fatalities with people messing

with the condensate pipe,if in doubt call someone out

regards Phil

#

You have me worried now, my condenser pipe snapped of at the joint (outside the property) the pipe is still running outside and I have connected back up again, to keep it defrosted I just take the pipe off at the joint and then bang the ice out then put it back on again, it is working and its still dripping into the drain outside is this safe??

youre fine if this is running to outside air,the outside air

will dilute the fumes should your condensate trap fail

regards Phil

I dont mean to alarm people but if unsure as stated above get

an heating engineer out,just for peace of mind

youre fine if this is running to outside air,the outside air

will dilute the fumes should your condensate trap fail

regards Phil

I dont mean to alarm people but if unsure as stated above get

an heating engineer out,just for peace of mind

Hiya Phil thanks for that feel a lot better now , yes its running down the drain outside I just have to keep banging the ice out and putting it back on again.

try Dan 2802 on the forum , not sure how busy he is , but always reliable

Cheers.

Did one of these today but only because it was the neighbour of the job I was working on.

Pulled out with it, can we put Christmas back a week???

Cheers.

Did one of these today but only because it was the neighbour of the job I was working on.

Pulled out with it, can we put Christmas back a week???

Just tol the missus this she wasn't best pleased !!!!!!

I just checked with British Gas and I'm confused because they have said there is no danger in disconnecting the outflow pipe, they said because the flu is still connected the fumes will go outside via the flu.

My condensor pipe has also been frozen stopping the boiler from working. It happened earlier on this month and I simply poured hot water over the pipe and it worked fine. This time though that didn't work and the boiler stopped completely.

My house insurance covers it and a gas engineer has come out. He had to cut the pipe underneath the boiler and has put a bowl underneath it to catch the water as a temporary fix until i can fix the pipe. The boiler is now working again.

I'm worried now after reading all these posts! Will fumes be coming into my house? I thought fumes went out through the flue not the condensor pipe.

I've never heard anything like it! Who on earth has sanctioned these condenser boilers is off their heads. Is anyone actually bothered that they are obviously useless when it is freezing temperatures outside:loopy: Has anyone had the outside pipes for the boiler lagged by the fitter ?

I've never heard anything like it! Who on earth has sanctioned these condenser boilers is off their heads. Is anyone actually bothered that they are obviously useless when it is freezing temperatures outside:loopy: Has anyone had the outside pipes for the boiler lagged by the fitter ?

Most of the condensing boilers have the condense fitted to regulations, it is the prolonged severe weather that is causing this problem the last two winters. I agree that regulations forcing us all to have condensing boilers does look short-sighted as I imagine other countries do not suffer with frozen condense problems despite it being colder climates elsewhere. 32/40mm pipe is all regs require for external condense runs or over-flow pipe (21.5mm) can be used if lagged, but I have seen all of these frozen. Best thing to do when the weather is this cold is check the pipe daily and rinse it with hot water....prevention being better than cure.

As for disconnecting the pipe below the boiler and letting it drip into a bucket rather than go outside and freeze....the boiler contains a trap so fumes SHOULD NOT escape...BUT...I could never recommend this as there is a POTENTIAL for the trap to allow products of combustion (potentially damaging fumes) into the property. No registered engineer should recommend this. Our business is called 'Gas-safe' for a reason, no 'chance', however remote, should ever be taken with any gas appliance