Doctors receptionists

When members of the public stop abusing the NHS by either not attending appointments without cancelling (15 DNAs last Friday) or attending for trvial reasons, then receptionists will be able to stop asking prying questions.

If it stops one person making an emergency appointment because of the rash they've had on their little toe for 4 months then it's worthwhile.

Until then I'm afraid you'll have to put up with it.

It may suprise you that you do not need to see a doctor to have a flu jab etc - if no-one asks then you may end up taking up a vital resource from someone who really needs it.

Edited by AGB1

When members of the public stop abusing the NHS by either not attending appointments without cancelling (15 DNAs last Friday) or attending for trvial reasons, then receptionists will be able to stop asking prying questions.

If it stops one person making an emergency appointment because of the rash they've had on their little toe for 4 months then it's worthwhile.

Until then I'm afraid you'll have to put up with it.

It may suprise you that you do not need to see a doctor to have a flu jab etc - if no-one asks then you may end up taking up a vital resource from someone who really needs it.

In our doctor's surgery they had a list showing numbers of missed appointments, I always looked at it with interest. I can really empathise with some receptionists, they have to ensure they are offering the service their doctors can deliver, and by giving everyone an appointment immediately, they couldn't. So in the main I agree with everything you say.

When I rang our doctors about my husband, I asked for an emergency appointment. The receptionist asked me a couple of questions about his symptoms, then immediately spoke to the doctor. And I'm really glad she did, she got an ambulance for my husband who was then in the NGH for 3 weeks having heart surgery. If all she'd done was give me an appointment for later that day as I wanted, he might not have made it. :o

Having said that, there are some who really don't communicate well, and so don't offer a good service to patients. We don't always expect an appointment, but the way someone is spoken to immediately builds up a picture. Medical receptionists should be recruited as much for their people skills as their ability to keep accurate records. ;)

The practice manager and the doctors have decided that they do. Those opinions count for a lot more than yours.

As stated above, if you object to it complain to the practice manager. Don't blame the receptionist for doing what their employer tells them to do!

surely your medical ailments are confidential, just you and your doctor should know about whats wrong with you ,not some third party

I mean, what the hells it got to do with them what i need to see a doctor for?

With the limited resources at their disposal I would have thought the answer was obvious!

surely your medical ailments are confidential, just you and your doctor should know about whats wrong with you ,not some third party

I suggest you read my post - it could have been the difference between life and death!

I'm certain that receptionists are bound by confidentiality, just like administrative staff in any services that need personal details. If you are known to them outside of their job, then you should be able to say you don't wish to discuss personal issues with them. I'm fairly sure doctors would accept this.

I think you are in for a shock!

Medical records are computerised nationwide, and any doctor can access your records.

Surely that's a good thing should you need emergency treatment at any time.

Our surgery receptionists are great and I'm not just saying that because three of them live on my road.

By the way Allen I opted out of having my medical records made available nationwide and although I agree that the computerised system should be a good thing in an emergency I think the possible security risk is too high. Not that any comments possibly made by any of my neighbours affected my opinion.

You should go to Capehorn Surgery, they are the complete opposite. I've never known it before but the Receptionists there are actually friendly, helpful and never pretend to be more qualified that the Dr!

We've moved house but have not moved changed Surgery as they're too nice to leave!

As are the receptionists at Porter Brook Medical Centre. Always polite, friendly and helpful there.

You should go to Capehorn Surgery, they are the complete opposite. I've never known it before but the Receptionists there are actually friendly, helpful and never pretend to be more qualified that the Dr!

We've moved house but have not moved changed Surgery as they're too nice to leave!

Snap. I am with Capehornes surgery, I always wonder about these battleaxe receptionists that people talk about The ones at ours are wonderfull. They ask about the reason for your visit but this is for triage purposes and will always let you see the doctor if that is what you prefer.

Snap. I am with Capehornes surgery, I always wonder about these battleaxe receptionists that people talk about The ones at ours are wonderfull. They ask about the reason for your visit but this is for triage purposes and will always let you see the doctor if that is what you prefer.

And I don't know about you but i've never had a problem getting an appointment either (maybe this is because I don't go often?).

It can be rather offputting telling the receptionist and all the waiting patients, that you may have to go to the sexual transmitted diseases clinic.

The receptionists at my doctors are great. They are very helpful and not at all awkward. Same applies to a very good friend of mine, she works as a doctor's receptionist and she too is great. In fact, with the stuff she has to put up with from the patients, it doesn't surprise me that some receptionists can be intrusive/awkward.