Boardwalk. Is it shut?

I don't think its actually got an owner now !!!

Right then, definately shut down as a music venue anyway. A brewery actually own the pub, its not owned indepedently, a guy who has a couple of pubs already in the Hillsborough area, which are real ale pubs, approached the brewery about taking over managing the venue, as the previous manager had had enough, might be money related might not be. Plan was to knock through a wall or two, to utilise the kitchen area etc, move the stage back into the large dressing room. As part of this the new owner promised to keep the licensee on, and also the the two people that did all the promotions. I think his plan was to turn it into a real ale pub all along though, as he basically changed the terms and conditions for the staff, making it totally unreasonable for them to work there. So, the guys doing the promotions will be putting bands on at different venues, if they set up a new website i'll post it, and the boardwalk may reopen,but it wont be as the boardwalk, unless the brewery decide its valuable as the resource it is.

this may be true, but, the promoters wont be attached anymore. Anyone that has dealt with the Boardwalk will know the blokes i mean, basically its them that have the contacts for the bands, so im not really sure how good the venue will be going forward.

Hope it isn't true! The Boardwalk is a huge part of Sheffield music history

Was good venue until all the tribute bands came along. What ****** me off about the place is that if your a local band and want to gig then you must sell so many tickets, pay to play im afraid.

Tribute bands used to pack the place out, thus subsidising local bands who would play to a small audience. The promoter & the venue have to make a profit!

Haha, according to Jon McClure it will become a poundland, i think thats his own interpretation, though not sure what else it could become in that area. I have to agree with Melv, the tribute acts, which incidentally have been playing for years do indeed pack the venue out, subsidising the unsigned nights, which generally are on quieter evenings anyway. It was in my opinion a great venue, and i have seen a lot of acts over the years. Its sad if it is the end, but it comes to everything. Incidentally, alot of the sorts of nights that were put on might be found in the greystones area, at a different venue ;)

I’ve been to some great nights at the Boardwalk, but the last few times I went it was unpleasant – dirty, smelly, poorly kept bar, etc. It was filthy and boiling hot, with just a desk fan bolted to the ceiling. It’s always a shame to lose another venue, but it was a dump. :gag:

The door price of these venues is probably a factor in low turnout as well. Sheffield needs to focus on is getting a couple of good pub venues with music, either free or just a couple of quid. I don’t want to spend a tenner or more (then add on drinks, buses, taxis) to see a band or artist I’ve never seen, but I’ll definitely take a punt on a cheap night for a new act, or an evening of local unsigneds.

In the current financial climate, people are going out less. If you can tempt punters in with a low or zero entry fee, then they are more likely to come out and spend more money over the bar, word gets round about the bands, the venue, etc.

I was at the Greystones on Sun night to see King King. I think this is a better venue than the Boardwalk. There's less noise coming from the bar area, the quality of the beer is far superior & you can get much closer to the acts, making it a more intimate experience.

I've seen many folk gigs at the Boardwalk...the most annoying thing was the constant chattering from the bar area (usually women). 2 women were chattering on Sunday...they got told-off by Alan Nimmo...good!

lol, well, the guy that did all teh promoting for the boardwalk is now doing it at the greystones with his daughter. I agree its a good venue too!