Boardwalk. Is it shut?

It's overdue for a refurb that's for sure but it's a great place to see bands and it's got an incredible history as a venue. Staging the first ever gig by the Clash should warrant a blue plaque and the rock/pop equivalent of world heritage status alone. But virtually everybody else of note has played there too over almost 50 years.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445&page=5&highlight=black+swan+history

I look forward to reading the book if one comes out.

Hmm - thats a bit of an urban myth - I can remember drinking Sam Smiths in there when it was the Black Swan, I think that must have been early 80's - but I atand to be corrected !

Both of which are rubbish.

The Clash, rubbish? Ha ha. You've got terrible taste.

So what you are saying is you know the names of 2 bands that you didn't go to see.

But probably both earned considerably more than you, and had a bigger fan base.

Bloodyhell ...... Time 'o' month or summat :rolleyes:

The Clash, rubbish? Ha ha. You've got terrible taste.

Ok so The Clash might not be rubbish but The Sex Pistols were.

I went in a few weeks ago to see Frank Vignola, the American jazz guitarist. Its the first time I'd been in the place for about 40 years. I was a good night, but my God, what a dump.

I saw Frank play alongside Tommy Emmanuel recently at York, what a special night that was! Talent by the bucketload.

So what you are saying is you know the names of 2 bands that you didn't go to see.

No that's not what I was saying. Can you explain the point of your post please?

No that's not what I was saying. Can you explain the point of your post please?

i can in one word

blob !

lol

I was talking to the promoter on Sun night. Its not a rumour, The Boardwalk is now extinct like the Norwegian Blue parrot The only concerts that can be staged are unplugged ones, as there's no PA system left in the building.

Ok so The Clash might not be rubbish but The Sex Pistols were.

Are you saying that you're The Clash or The Pistols of trolling?

I was talking to the promoter on Sun night. Its not a rumour, The Boardwalk is now extinct like the Norwegian Blue parrot The only concerts that can be staged are unplugged ones, as there's no PA system left in the building.

According to someone who worked there (I think it should be past tense now) the owner had been looking at selling for a year, because they weren't exactly making any money.

Their business plan was pretty terrible, charging £5 for unsigned band nights (with no guarantee of any talent) when Corporation and Plug could get you a signed band for the same price. Other than that it was just folk/blues or tribute bands...In a time when people aren't exactly flocking to see bands, you should at least try booking bands that people may want to see! I remember seeing Heaven's Basement there in 2008 and it having a good couple of hundred people...last time I played there was about 10 watching...

To cut a long story short, the place went into liquidation at the end of November. I believe the 'refurb' is just an excuse, because it as only supposed to take two weeks according to the website at the beginning of December and has now extended long into 2011.

I was speaking to the owner not long back was told gigs will run as normal after the refurbishment.