Boardwalk. Is it shut?

Just chatting to some guys in the know and they told me the Boardwalk has closed permanently.

Anyone know if this is true

I went in a few weeks ago to see Frank Vignola, the American jazz guitarist. Its the first time I'd been in the place for about 40 years. I was a good night, but my God, what a dump.

Whoops! Typo in your thread title. Though the U and I are next to each other, so an easy mistake to make.

I understand they are knocking some walls out and making it a bigger venue so they can have a bigger crowd capacity. Also the under the boardwalk beneath is to be improved.

although this is what they say on their website, there has not been much sign of any refurbishment going on. Shame if it does not, although being in a crowd of seven for Jake Shillingford was a little disturbing. "my life story"

It's overdue for a refurb that's for sure but it's a great place to see bands and it's got an incredible history as a venue. Staging the first ever gig by the Clash should warrant a blue plaque and the rock/pop equivalent of world heritage status alone. But virtually everybody else of note has played there too over almost 50 years.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445&page=5&highlight=black+swan+history

I look forward to reading the book if one comes out.

It's overdue for a refurb that's for sure but it's a great place to see bands and it's got an incredible history as a venue. Staging the first ever gig by the Clash should warrant a blue plaque and the rock/pop equivalent of world heritage status alone. But virtually everybody else of note has played there too over almost 50 years.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445&page=5&highlight=black+swan+history

I look forward to reading the book if one comes out.

I missed that concert by the Clash. Considered going, but thought I would stay in and save the 50p cost of admission.

I hadn't ever heard of the Clash or the band they were supporting, some outfit called the Sex Pistols.

hope it aint shut, supposed to be seeing half man half biscuit there in feb