Sheffield lad to recieve George Medal today

What a hero! :thumbsup::clap: I'm so proud he's from Sheffield. I hope he reads this thread and sees what his community think of him.

I saw this man receiving his medal on the tv. I could tell he was from Sheffield with his accent.:)

This is a fantastic honour and while not wishing to diminish it in any way I am also surprised it's the George Medal. The army website states the GM is for "acts of great bravery not in the presence of the enemy". WO Ley's citation refers to "...unwavering dedication, conspicuous gallantry and poise in the face of substantial danger and of the enemy...". The BBC report also states that "at times he had to clear bombs with insurgent mortars and gunshots landing as little as 30m (100ft) away from him."

Surely a VC would have been appropriate?

Nevertheless a great honour for a very brave man.

Edited by Chumley
The Star has caught up.

Today I am proud to say I live in Sheffield the home of a true Hero.

No Cape, No X-ray Vision.

Just a pure true Sheffield heart of steel.

hi all i am wo2 ley's wife, ty for all ur support and kind messages we really do appreciate it

hi all i am wo2 ley's wife, ty for all ur support and kind messages we really do appreciate it

Hi there,

I grew up with Karl! He hasn't changed a bit!!!

I bet you're sooooooo proud of him. I watched him receive his award last night on the Millies and I just can't believe how brave he is to do that job. He thouroughly deserves the recognition. :clap:

Please tell him that the people of Sheffield are so proud and thankful.

I'm humbled.

and well done to you for being there for him. It must be a difficult position for you as it must be a worry, but knowing he has you to support him must make it a little easier.

I am proud to be a Sheffielder and to hear about this.

we are very thankful to everyone for your kind messages of support its nice to see when you hear the abusive remarks someone has put on you tube! Check it out people apparently he has blood on his hands!?

we are very thankful to everyone for your kind messages of support its nice to see when you hear the abusive remarks someone has put on you tube! Check it out people apparently he has blood on his hands!?

Just ignore abusive comments like that, your husband is a true hero for risking his life while defusing those bombs regardless of how people feel about this war.:)